RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

2 SSDs and 4 HDDs and ready to Power Up

Joe_Miner

gallery_1229_137_79152.jpg

I have installed two SSDs for my OS Drive in RAID0 S2012R2 and now I'm adding 4 HDDs -- about to power up the new config

gallery_1229_137_81386.jpg

typer77

I have got a question regarding the B120i. Currently I also have 2 SSD in Port 1&2. I have found more old SSD lying around. If I want to raid them together as Raid 0, does that mean the transfer would drop back to 3Gps?

Thanks

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

Joe_Miner

Which Ports are you talking about? 

Ports 1 & 2 are SATA III's (6Gb/s) while Ports 3 thru 6 are SATA II's (3Gb/s) -- your final performance will be based on the combined performance of the Ports you RAID'd together -- 

typer77

currently I have port 1 &2 with 2 SSD RAID 0.

but since I found more SSD, i am thinking about expanding this array to a 4 SSD RAID 1. So port 1,2,3,4 will all be used.

Due to the fact port 3 & 4 are 3Gb/s only, the entire new array will be slower than my current array?

thanks

Joe_Miner

No, it will be faster but not as fast if the 4 ports were all SATA III's --

The problem I would be concerned about is the quality of the SSD's -- if you lose one SSD you've lost the entire Arrary.

schoondoggy

currently I have port 1 &2 with 2 SSD RAID 0.

but since I found more SSD, i am thinking about expanding this array to a 4 SSD RAID 1. So port 1,2,3,4 will all be used.

Due to the fact port 3 & 4 are 3Gb/s only, the entire new array will be slower than my current array?

thanks

A 4 SSD RAID1 or RAID0?

typer77

RAID 1. I plan to do this..  Don't know if it will work.  
Run a clone software to copy the current raid. The rebuild the current set up into a 4Ssd raid 1. Then copy everything back to the new raid....

schoondoggy

RAID 1. I plan to do this..  Don't know if it will work.  

Run a clone software to copy the current raid. The rebuild the current set up into a 4Ssd raid 1. Then copy everything back to the new raid....

Are all of the SSD the same size?

The B120i does not support RAID migration, so you would need to start with clean drives.

If you have four SSD of the same size you could do RAID10.

The SSDs on 3Gb/s ports will be slower that SSDs on the 6Gb/s ports. RAID1 and a single drive RAID0 should be the same speed if they are on same speed ports.

Not sure of the effect of mixed ports on a RAID10, I don't think it would drag the entire array down to 3Gb/s.

typer77

Are all of the SSD the same size?

The B120i does not support RAID migration, so you would need to start with clean drives.

If you have four SSD of the same size you could do RAID10.

The SSDs on 3Gb/s ports will be slower that SSDs on the 6Gb/s ports. RAID1 and a single drive RAID0 should be the same speed if they are on same speed ports.

Not sure of the effect of mixed ports on a RAID10, I don't think it would drag the entire array down to 3Gb/s.

Thank you!

Yup the intended array set up will be all 4 X 250G, while the current array has Raid0 with 1x250 and 1x120.. so it's currently at half the capacity..

it sounds like it will involve a lot of work.. 

do you think the clone mechanism with software may work? :)

schoondoggy

Thank you!

Yup the intended array set up will be all 4 X 250G, while the current array has Raid0 with 1x250 and 1x120.. so it's currently at half the capacity..

it sounds like it will involve a lot of work.. 

do you think the clone mechanism with software may work? :)

Not if the current 250 will be part of the four drive SSD array.

Let's take a step back, what OS are you running? Why do you want four SSD's in an array? What are you trying to achieve?