RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
psykix

Anyone know anything about Mailchimp?

psykix

I hate the way Mailchimp tracks what you do with emails without telling you it is doing it. Apparently it even tracks if you have clicked any links in the emails.

Since I am running Sophos XG, I'm thinking that I could probably block any of the tracking stuff from being sent from my home network.

Any ideas where to start?

GotNoTime

I assume the tracking for whether somebody views an email or not is done via 1x1 tracking pixels or possibly actual images in the email. All modern mail clients should default to not viewing external images to avoid this. As for tracking when you click a URL, that will be because the URLs are links to their server which then redirects you to somewhere else. If the URL is embedded inside the redirection then you could rewrite the email but I doubt your firewall will do this. Your mail client won't be running any scripting languages or applets inside the email so the tracking will have to be done like this.

You may be able to block their entire domain to prevent connections but it may adversely affect the content of the email as well since images and links may no longer work.

psykix

Yeah, I use Outlook but I like to have images switched on otherwise many emails don't show correctly.

Apparently, Mailchimp can track how many times you have opened the email, and even if you have forwarded it on and who to.. Bit naughty if you ask me since most people won't realise that it does this.

GotNoTime

Yeah, I use Outlook but I like to have images switched on otherwise many emails don't show correctly.

If you don't want to be tracked then you'll have to turn off external images. You could carefully setup some regexps for your firewall to do L7 inspection to block those trackers but you'd need to do it for every tracking service and keep it up to date.

Apparently, Mailchimp can track how many times you have opened the email, and even if you have forwarded it on and who to.

They'll be able to tell how many times you've opened it from that 1x1 pixel tracker image that'll get loaded each time.

They explain how and what they're tracking here. They're not tracking email forwards. They're tracking people using the Forward to a friend link inside the email.

Bit naughty if you ask me since most people won't realise that it does this.

*shrug* If it is a legitimate advertising campaign then I don't have a problem with it. Lots of sites using analytics now so just visiting some popular websites will end up with far more tracking data generated about you. Edited by GotNoTime

psykix

I wonder if there is any way to block emails sent using Mailchimp? Or quarantine perhaps.

I use Microsoft hosted exchange, but I'd have to find something unique for Mailchimp emails to block it on.

Thanks for the info so far, gives me something to read up on!

GotNoTime

I wonder if there is any way to block emails sent using Mailchimp? Or quarantine perhaps.

It'll have mailchimp in the header so bounce based on that. You'll end up blocking legitimate email though as mailchimp isn't just used for junk newsletters. I've gotten order confirmations and status updates that were sent using it.

The only reliable method is to stop automatically loading external images *shrug*

• Like 1