RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Trimble Epic

Anyone know a usb wifi adapter that works in win7 without installing drivers?

Trimble Epic

specifically, I mean one that uses stock ms drivers such that it will work plug and play without needing to install anything...

I have a corporate machine that I need to connect and use wirelessly, but I don't have admin rights to install any drivers :( currently it's on wired ethernet.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

schoondoggy

Not sure, but if it has a network connection it may load the correct driver itself. Without Admjn rights will it allow you to make a network connection on the new connection?

itGeeks

specifically, I mean one that uses stock ms drivers such that it will work plug and play without needing to install anything...

I have a corporate machine that I need to connect and use wirelessly, but I don't have admin rights to install any drivers :( currently it's on wired ethernet.

It sounds to me that your trying to do something against company policy? We own a company and employee get immediate termination for doing stuff like this and that is something I wont take any part in, I am sorry if I am miss reading this but if your not trying to do something against company policy y not just ask the company admin to install the WiFi driver for you?? I do have the solution for you but I am personally not willing to help any "employee" bypass company admin polices. There are many reasons company's may not want WiFi on there laptops for security reasons.

Edited by itGeeks

pcdoc

On a company domain if they have prevented installation, you will not be able to use any adapter.  All adapters even if they have windows native drivers built in to windows in effect are installed even if you do not use a separate disk.  We have the same issue here and lock things down for that same reason.  Sorry, but your best bet is to convince your IT to install it after you plead you case.