RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Using SPP to update Firmware and load SSA on my ML10v2

Joe_Miner

gallery_1229_137_94494.jpg

After downloading the latest SPP for the ML10v2 from HPE’s Support Center (as well as all other Drivers & Firmware for MS2012R2) I ran it’s ISO via iLO4 in “Automatic Firmware Update Version 2015.10.0” mode first to update all of the Firmware on my ML10v2 – while iLO4 firmware was updated to the most current version I lost my remote session.  After all the automatic updates were finished I rebooted and next ran SPP again as an ISO via iLO4 but selected “Interactive Firmware Update Version 2015.10.0” or manual mode and executed the SSA to put my two Samsung 840 Pro SSD’s in a RAID0 logical drive.  (NOTE: Normal practice would be to put my OS drives in a RAID1 for greater Reliability but if my setup isn’t critical I like to put my OS on two drives in RAID0 for greater performance.)  Next I went to HPE’s Support Center for the HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller and downloaded Drivers & Firmware for MS2012/MS2012R2. I did all of this in preparation for the next step – installing Windows Server 2012 R2 onto my ML10v2.

References:

HP ProLiant ML10v2 Server Drivers & Software https://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=7796452&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4168〈=en&cc=us&hpappid=hppecf

HP Dynamic Smart Array Bi20i Controller Drivers & Software https://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?dwf.restartSession=true&sp4ts.oid=5293150&hpappid=hppecf〈=en&cc=us

gallery_1229_137_45151.jpg

gallery_1229_137_9421.jpg

gallery_1229_137_66259.jpg

gallery_1229_137_53804.jpg

gallery_1229_137_50650.jpg

gallery_1229_137_37827.jpg

I used SPP to go into SSA

gallery_1229_137_12632.jpg

gallery_1229_137_39979.jpg

gallery_1229_137_23488.jpg

Good post(s) about getting started with your ML10V2. Your SPP procedure is similar to what I did (that I mentioned in your other thread, but without the helpful screen shots). You may not be at this stage yet, but once 2012 is installed I remounted the SPP and ran it from within windows to install all of the software / drivers for the HP stuff. If you want the System Management Homepage to display items you also need to select WBEM when doing this as it doesn't seem to be selected by default. 

• Like 1

Good post(s) about getting started with your ML10V2. Your SPP procedure is similar to what I did (that I mentioned in your other thread, but without the helpful screen shots). You may not be at this stage yet, but once 2012 is installed I remounted the SPP and ran it from within windows to install all of the software / drivers for the HP stuff. If you want the System Management Homepage to display items you also need to select WBEM when doing this as it doesn't seem to be selected by default. 

Excellent suggestion & I enjoy hearing about your build progress.  I did that too, i mounted the latest SPP ISO in the Virtual DVD drive in iLO4 and went into it with File Explorer and executed the Widows Batch file HPSUM and set it to automatic update and let er rip :)

• 3 weeks later...

How did you mange to get the latest Service Pack? I keep running into support validation is required!

Officially HP only allow access to firmware updates and the SPP ISO if you have a valid support contract or are still within warranty. For the SPP ISOs, they generally appear on the FTP at some point so can be downloaded without needing to validate. In this case, the latest SPP is the 2015.10.0 (October) one which can be found at ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/cd-generic/p67859018/v113584/
  • Like 1

How did you mange to get the latest Service Pack? I keep running into support validation is required!

Good question -- 

With HP Servers the first time you go to their Support page I'd suggest creating a HP PassPort Account for yourself -- and you can associate your warranties with that account -- check the expiration date on your warranties because they are based on the date your Server was sold to the Vendor who sold you your server -- you can contact HP service and they will adjust the warranty expiration date based on a copy of your invoice -- their HP service will also help associate warranties/contracts with your passport account --

Then, later when you go to their support page(s) and log in with your passport account you should sail thru support validation requirements automatically YMMV

(In my own case I created a PassPort account for myself back when I got one of my N40L's (approx 4yr ago) and just wanted to get the e-mail updates on new driver/firmware releases.  When HP started requiring support validation for some updates I then went in and associating my warranties (via the serial numbers) with my PassPort account.  I've also picked up a 1yr warranty contract when my G8 original warranty expired and contacted HP Support to get that associated with my PassPort Acct.  When I got my ML10v2 I added its warranty (serial No.) to my acct and contacted HP Support to get my warranty changed to correspond to when I bought my ML10v2 from TigerDirect Business.)

Officially HP only allow access to firmware updates and the SPP ISO if you have a valid support contract or are still within warranty. For the SPP ISOs, they generally appear on the FTP at some point so can be downloaded without needing to validate. In this case, the latest SPP is the 2015.10.0 (October) one which can be found at ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/cd-generic/p67859018/v113584/

Thanks GotNoTime! +1

Great post to help out new guys like me. This is my first server and the ML10 V2 just arrived today. Thanks guys!!

Thank you!  Appreciate the feedback! +1

Edited by Joe_Miner

Thanks! I'm still working through the HP automated call systems and now that HP split in two separate groups (HP / HPE), things have really gotten a lot harder! On my first call I was transferred between the two HPs at least five times and I still don't have web access to the file. 

• 7 months later...

Quick notes on updating firmware when just starting the box for the first time.. im sure its been documented, but hey here are my findings found out the hard way.

1. SPP over 4 gigs should use the hp usbkey utility tool 2.0 to create the iso - I got errors when using rufus/unetbootin (having trouble with linking, theres hp advisory on this, search for burning hp iso image)

2. Attaching via remote console/desktop virtual drive did not work for me.. maybe as my lappy is wirelessly connected to the router that the server is hardwired in too.. so usb key did the trick

3. Thanks for the note re-warranty start date, mine was 4 months old

I have a question.. does the service pack generally contain all the other patches? (I can see a few patches for vsphere 6.0 and trying to work out how to install, I don't find the instruction that user friendly.. i.e. I also see ILO updates, so not sure if I need to upgrade again etc)

if anyones interested, i am replicating my n40l setup.. basically custom hp esxi image, with omnios presenting the disks via raw disk mapping, and then playing around with pfsense.. my aim is to learn about pfsense, and from my limited research feel that zfs is "superior" to raid.. happy to be corrected / or advised "how about trying x y or z", my aim to have a nice lab / easily manageable and flexible i.e. grow nas by adding bigger disks - done.

Thanks for all the hard core contributors, ive read so much over the years from here and ive learn and achieved so much by just following these types of forums.. thank you!!! :)