RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

server backup fails in spite of plenty of space....

nrf

I was referring to the C: on server.  I have never thought about C: on the client but I never let any drive fill over 80%. Always seems to cause problems if you do. As jmwillis says veeam seems to work better, faster, cheaper.  I use both.

I use some Powershell scripts at work to back up some SharePoint siyte collections and you learn the hard way there has to be as much free space on the Root Drive © as the Site is large.

Veeam is working for me for backups.  I have yet to try a restore, but that is an objective over the holidays.

Have done both file restore and a full sysytem restore (W10 machine). Both worked fast and easy. I would suggest that the veeam restore USB be kept up to date with any new system drivers.

end note: having moved stuff around to enlarge a partition, and having met all the requirements for free space, and rebooting to be safe, veeam was again giving me troubles. I went back to windows server backup. It appears that for full backups, plain old wsb is 2-3x as fast as veeam anyway. before you get puffed up, it is possible the incrementals and bare metal restore are faster with veeam (in fact anything would probably beat 2012r2 essentials at client bmr as it is horrendously slow.)

I will give veeam a chance at client backup and see how it goes. But in the back of my mind I keep considering moving everything back to whs2011 as it 'just works' and has speedy client BMR.

Edited by nrf

I've not played around with this a great deal - in my case I only back up the system partition and a handful of the server folders - but was under the impression that it was possible to redirect the shadow copies to a different volume. Not having any idea how your system is set up this might be a non-starter, but could you not point those drives with less free space at the 1.8TB drive for their shadow copies?? To experiment you can right click on any drive in Explorer, choose Configure Shadow Copies... and then select a volume and click Settings. On my system it seems to be possible to redirect the shadow copies for everything other than the boot drive, but I've never really experimented with the alternatives.

seems like a neat trick I could look into. I feel one should not have to dig so deeply into this 'shadow copy' thing to run a server, but any port in a storm. 

thanks for the tip.

I feel one should not have to dig so deeply into this 'shadow copy' thing to run a server

Wholehearted agreement here - I was hoping that my Windows Storage Server box would be 'plug in and forget' - but it seems that even with a pre-canned solution one needs to be at least partially au fait with server networking, DNS, certificates and encryption, disk management, etc. etc. et cetera, rah, rah, la la