RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

server backup fails in spite of plenty of space....

nrf

I could use some advice here. My server backup keeps failing, saying there is no room. I even stopped it, reformatted the drive, and started it again. Now the drive is half full but backups are still failing.

each time I start another server backup it seems to sit at 80%. even backing up all chosen disks would only use 70% of the backup drive. Is it possible it is counting the space in drives I have chosen not to back up?

thanks in advance.

Edited by nrf

so tried plan B, the free veam endpoint backup. it appears to be a bit more forthcoming with info, but I am still at a loss as to how to 'fix' this...

creating vss snapshot error: failed to create snapshot: backup job failed: cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. a vss critical writer has failed. blah blah blah.... 

web searching that message led to two areas: 1) need more free space on the volume where vss is working ?? (turns out not applicable all volumes have significant free space)  2) cleared by a reboot

time will tell. 

if that does it I am going to keep veam for a while and see how it goes.

vssinfo.jpg

Edited by nrf

spoke too soon. dialogging with self :)

I have good % of free space and > 2.5 gb too.

so any suggestions welcome.

havespace.jpg

OK, the answer seems to be you need at least 20% free per volume and a minimum of 2.5gb.

note that essentials complains at 10% free, not sure that can be adjusted.

hopefully this monolog will help someone who runs into this in the future.

The #1 reason for that error is lack of space on the drive (and it needs plenty). Been documented on this site before and occurs in all versions I have used. Don't put anything on C: except the OS. I keep a Samsung 850 pro 256 at 60% free after previous experiences with that error.

really, vss technology requires 20% free on each volume. it doesn't matter whether you are using ms server backup or veam endpoint backup. and omitting specific folders is more demanding of vss resources than turning off whole volumes.

error messages about it are not necessarily specific. Microsoft said it could not write because there was no space, it didn't bother telling me it was on the SOURCE drive. one would assume a backup failed for lack of space in DESTINATION.

In my case I used the veam message to search the web and found out the cause. One of my volumes had 17% free and that was the issue. Even then, vss was not able to filter out a directory (timed out) so veam continued but instead wasted 3.5 hours backing up my security cam footage that I had excluded.

maybe I need a plan C that doesn't rely so heavily on vss technology.

Edited by nrf