RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Home Server Build Advice for a Novice

Louie4

Hello!

I'm new to this community and also new to networks and servers in general. I'm an undergraduate student and looking to build my first server to run in my apartment/home. I'm a college student so I'd like to save money anywhere I can but I'd like to cap the build at $800. I'm looking to use the server to host my personal website (outsourced currently), as well as to use as a datastore for various mobile applications I develop in my free time. Overall, I'm just looking for a playground to mess around with so I can learn more about the client-server architecture and networking by programming network, server, and client applications. I'm also interested in building the actual device instead of justing buying a NAS system.

As far as operating systems go, I was planning to run either the freeNAS open source, which seems to be highly promoted online, or just a version of Ubuntu since I'm more familiar with that OS. 

I'd appreciate any advice on my choices for the build and OS, as well as suggestions on where I should upgrade or save money. I plan on ordering the parts in the next week so I encourage you to manipulate or criticize the build and point out any errors I may have made.

Home Server Build

1. Case
  2. Motherboard
  3. Processor
  4. RAM
  5. Hard Drives - 3x

Thank you for all your help!

Edited by Louie4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• dxzdxz1
      By dxzdxz1
      This is my first post here but I've been lurking in this forum for quite sometime now, and from what I understand, the only reason that we couldn't achieve 32gb ram on the Microserver Gen8 was because there was no 16gb unbuffered ecc ram available before.

I was searching for a memory module meeting this criteria and I found this one. My question is, letting aside this ridiculous price, is there any compatibility issue that could make this ram won't work on the Microserver Gen8?

Most of the threads here about memory compatibility are quite old and I didn't want to revive an old thread just to ask this, so I'm creating this one.

Thanks in advance.
    • Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      Microsoft is changing the update policy for windows 10  per this article on thurrotts website

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/204359/microsoft-makes-major-changes-to-windows-10-updating

a couple of years ago, I stopped using a windows 10 homeserver because the update cycles kept breaking things

this new announcement could cause some reconsideration of this.  

Don't think I am going to replace my Qnap nas anytime soon -its been rock solid
      but if I where building a new server, would consider it.

wouldn't be hard to set up machine with a lot more capability than most NAS's without laying out 400 bucks for a windows server license

and you can use Drivepool, which I miss from my W10 server

• buzzelliart
      By buzzelliart
      Hello everyone,
      I hope not to be OT,
      I am a software developer and I've developed a painting software for windows platform.
      The software also supports Wacom's pen sensitivity to vary size and opacity of brushstrokes.

I was wondering if my software works well on Windows Surface pro, since it seems that the software has some issues with hardwares with integrated graphics cards.

The software is available for free here:
      http://speedypainter.altervista.org/

I would be grateful if someone could test it and send me a feedback about their user experience with the software.
      Thank you all in advance!

Kind regards,
      Andrea

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      I posted some performance numbers on my ML10v2 at Setting up my ML10v2 for the first time, Part 6: Performance http://homeservershow.com/setting-up-my-6-performance.html 

and also tried to do a comparison between CPU's of the Stock ML10v2 and previous home servers

Here are some highlights.................

• bballing
      By bballing
      Hello, I recently picked up a Dell PowerEdge 2950 Server III 2x3.0GHz E5450 Quad Core.  I am VERY new to building a home server or even dealing with them, so please forgive me.  I wanted to ask everyone out there what the best OS would be for my first build.  I want to try and accomplish the following with my server: [/size][/font][/color]

Host my own website
      Host my own email service (through my own domains) for personal use. 
      run a cloud server for personal storage that I can access from anywhere holding media and other files.  
      create back ups for both Mac and PC machines
      Create a VPN for my network. 

I know this is possibly a tall order for my first build, but I would like to play around with all of these.  I have read a lot about different operating systems, and they just seem to be all over the place with reviews and price.  I understand that there are many free software options, but don't know if some of them will support everything I want to do.  I wouldn't mind paying for an OS if it is worth it, but would prefer cheaper version after seeing some of the prices.  

I am not computer illiterate but have much to learn about servers.  

Thanks in advance for any advice.  I am greatly looking forward to getting into the world of servers.