RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Pulling drives out of a NAS

Jazman

Question:  First specific to Synology - If I configure my box as JBOD or mirror-RAID on a Synology NAS, and then the hardware fails, can I plug those into a PC and recover the data?  I'm already assuming that if I configure it as a stripe RAID or RAID5 that I will need new Synology hardware to read the data in the even of a motherboard failure.  I'm just wondering if they use a specific data format or method of storing data that's custom.

I'm trying to decide how I want to configure mine.  I've always avoided stripe and RAID5 because of the dependence on specific hardware boards.  I'm just wondering if that is the case regardless of how I configure the system or if it's only some choices.

OK, now the same questions for QNAP.

Thanks in advance!
Keith

Great answers Doggy.  Excellent - at least on the Synology.  They must do a S/W RAID since it looks like you can just plug in the drives to a PC and run their software.  That's pretty nice.

JMW - Yea, yea.  But, there are a number of reasons why it would be better to get it off the drives directly if able.  For one, you don't have to download mega-GB of data - which in my case is Crashplan in the cloud.  Plus, I don't back up everything.  For example, movies and TV.  If the drives crash and the data is gone, it's not the end of the world.  Anything truly important (ie: pics) is backed up.  But, if there are ways to prevent frustration from Mrs. Jazman, that is even better.

Thanks for the links Doggy - If someone finds the answer for QNAP for QNAP to PC, let us know!

Thanks,

Keith

Question:  First specific to Synology - If I configure my box as JBOD or mirror-RAID on a Synology NAS, and then the hardware fails, can I plug those into a PC and recover the data?  I'm already assuming that if I configure it as a stripe RAID or RAID5 that I will need new Synology hardware to read the data in the even of a motherboard failure.  I'm just wondering if they use a specific data format or method of storing data that's custom.

I'm trying to decide how I want to configure mine.  I've always avoided stripe and RAID5 because of the dependence on specific hardware boards.  I'm just wondering if that is the case regardless of how I configure the system or if it's only some choices.

OK, now the same questions for QNAP.

Thanks in advance!

Keith

Jazman what I am about to say may come off rude & direct but I mean no harm by it. First off Y on earth are you trying to base your RAID level on data recovery? RAID is not in place for data protection or recovery of files, its simply drive protection NOT data protection, There is absolutely no substitute for a good 3-2-1 Backup plan, I also take this one step further and use at least two different backup programs to backup my data so if disaster happens I will get my data back. If you don't know what 3-2-1 Backup is just google it there is a wealth of info on the subject. I own sevral Synology NAS and on top of using the backup software Synology provides for backup I also us CrashPlan so if there is a meltdown of any kind I will get my data back. CrashPlan is not natively supported on Synology like it is on QNAP but there is a community package that allows CrashPlan to run on the Synology box though I will admit its troublesome at times. If you want direct support for CrashPlan then QNAP is the way to go here. Furthermore I would never consider JBOD for anything other them maybe a device that's being used as a backup target and nothing else and even then I try not to use JBOD unless its a device with limited drive bays and your really trying to maximize storage such is the case with a low cost low powered NAS. You need to base your RAID level on storage needs/drive protection NOT data protection. There is a great thread here on the best RAID to use for home use, Have a look at the link below, You will find everything you need for answers on this thread http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10387-raid-setup-for-home-use-what-do-you-recommend/

How much data do you have now and what do you think your growth will be in the next few years? Though are the things you need to think about to purchase the right hardware and setup the correct RAID level based on how important the files are.

I hope I have added some value to your question.

Edited by itGeeks