RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Technogod

Bitdefender BOX

Technogod

Has anybody had any experience with the Bitdefender BOX? It was just released and very little information on their website. I can see why it would wreak havoc with your network. The first thing they want you to do is disable DHCP. Sorry, but I like my DHCP.

Edited by Technogod

GotNoTime

The first thing they want you to do is disable DHCP. Sorry, but I like my DHCP.

They tell you to disable DHCP on your router because their box becomes the DHCP server. You don't lose DHCP on your network.

It does this because it is giving out its own IP address for DNS and gateway so it can act as a proxy/filter without needing to physically insert itself between the WiFi access points + ethernet devices and your router.

nrf

one oddity I see in the site is they talk about needing to make settings changes to your router. that seems like a burden I wouldn't want to shoulder if I was putting out such a product, but perhaps they know 99% of the routers are within their comfort zone.

itGeeks

I did find a review. http://www.techhive.com/article/2910812/bitdefender-box-review-trying-hard-to-be-antivirus-for-the-internet-of-things.html It seems that this device is not ready for prime time. Sound like it needs A LOT of work to me.

You are correct, I looked at this some time ago and the specs on this device are less then stellar. With only 100Mbps connection and only Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz no 5GHz or AC seems like this device was built for the the early 2000's with internet speeds of 150Mbps and above now this device would be a major bottleneck. I myself have FiOS 150/150.

Specs: http://www.bitdefender.com/box/specs.html

Edited by itGeeks

Dave

I looked at it at CES last year and wanted to try it but I wasn't comfortable with the first reviews of it.  I asked for a review unit too. Never heard from them.

itGeeks

I looked at it at CES last year and wanted to try it but I wasn't comfortable with the first reviews of it.  I asked for a review unit too. Never heard from them.

Dave I would consider your self lucky in fact I would probably send the an email thanking them for not wasting your time to review something that was going to be a bad review anyway. This is the very reason they did not respond to you, They already got enough bad reviews on the books for this unit. This device was not designed with today's internet in mind, It was designed for internet speeds of over 5 years ago. I will further say I think the product manager/designer of this product is either looking for or has found a new job by now unless it was the CEO or a family member that was in charge of this product. This thing only has 100MB support so with overhead your not even going to get that. Wireless 5GHz has been out for how long? Yes way before this product was launched. Gigabit networking has been out for several years so y on earth there only supporting 100MB is beyond me. In my eyes this product was setup to fail before it hit store shelves. God bless the poor average home user that does not know better and installs this device thinking they are safe but at a cost of crippling there internet speed that they pay for. Internet service providers have been aggressive doubling the internet speeds free of charge from what we pay for so having a internet connection of 100MB + is not on heard of anymore and now with Google Fiber promising speeds of Gigabit speeds there is no way this device can survive. Summing it up be thankful BitDefender did not wast your time reviewing this flawed product. By the way FYI I responded to your PM the day after I believe and you did not respond back to me, I hope I did not offend you in anyway? I know your busy trying to move but just wanted to let you know I did respond in case it got lost with everything you have going on.

Edited by itGeeks

Dave

I just talked about the fact that I discovered this product last year at CES and they are back this year!  I'll drop by and see what is up.