RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
SLicK

Add'l server for redundancy - thoughts!

SabatonFan80

A good point for keeping everything virtual, as long as you can keep the drives external in either an IcysDock or Drobo box. At this point, you are just are ready to create your own SAN which would really be nice. One big box up in the office with all the drives tucked away in a network closet. I could see this getting expensive.....more time in the desert!!!!!

All good stuff.

There's no need to go quite that expensive. Drobo especially is quite pricey (it's completely awesome for what it does, and I'd love to get my hands on one, but just can't justify spending that amount of cash).

What I ended up doing was just buying a new external SATA enclosure each time I needed to expand my storage. This let me build up as I needed without being terribly expensive. I'm up to 4 Vantec units now and use Antec EasySATA bays for the OS drive (basically an internal disk enclosure without the enclosure part (Highly recommended if you rotate drives alot!)). The Vantec enclosures sold for about $60, and the EasySATA bays went for $25.

SLicK

So as my thoughts turn to the future - that is, thoughts of a potential hardware failure like the one we experienced I'm thinking having an extra EX495 sitting in box might not hurt. I don't see why one couldn't simply yank the drives out of a failed WHS and plug them in to an identical machine as the one they came out of...

Well, to follow-up for those interested my thoughts were correct. That is, I took the plunge and ordered another EX495 and it arrived today. The results were better than I expected. I swapped the sys and data drives into the second machine - the "backup" server. Upon powering on, the clients didn't know the difference. No need to re-install the connector software, mess with the shares or change host names. Nothing. I even tested the client's backups and add-ins and everything worked normally. This in my opinion justifies the added expense of a "backup" server for a small business. Actually, compared to implementing a business class server running SBS 2008 or something would of cost significantly more.

The only thing one would need to do is if their using a dynamically reserved i.p. they'd have to remove it as that relies on the each machine's MAC address. With a static i.p. one doesn't have to do anything. This we also thoroughly tested.

When our SBS failed our initial tech bill was close to $300 just to diagnose the hardware, etc. not counting the down time cost and the cost of any repairs. Had we proceeded I'm sure these costs would of well exceeded the cost of a EX495. So for now this "backup" server will just sit in its box there in the event of failure of our production server or I'm thinking I may use it for "testing" purposes - either way I'd recommend this as a solution for small business owners! :)

Craig

jmwills

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.