RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HDD LED off most of the time.. odd behavior?

lgg42

Hi all!

Got another question which seems quite strange to me...

I recently received a G1610T and still gettind used to it and testing all it's capabilities.

I've noticed something odd with the HDD LED indicator.

The manual states:

Solid green = System on

Flashing green = Drive activity

Off = System in standby or no power present

And for example... being the server powered on, with ESX 5.5 installed, just being idle, and with all VM powered off or none virtual machiines created, the LED is off, now.. if I play around, the LED becomes a mix of solid green /flashing/almost off. But definitely, it doesn't behaves like the Network activity LED.

Is it normal or maybe i have a faulty (whatever) thing?

This have happened to me with the embedded RAID controller in RAID1 and AHCI modes, using 2 WD Red NAS 1TB HDD in bays 1 and 2, running both, ESXi 5.1, and 5.5

INFO:

System ROM J06 System ROM Date 06/06/2014

Backup System ROM Date 06/06/2014

iLO Firmware Version 2.10 Jan 15 2015

The picture attached is right now running ESX with one (and only one setup) VM powered off.

any answer is really appreciated... 

thanks!

IMG_20151203_210749.jpg

Edited by lgg42

I would boot the system with a different OS, something other than ESXi, to see how the light behaves. Are you booting ESXi from a USB stick? Keep in mind, ESXi runs from memory, so once it loads it will only show disk activity when running VM's. You may want to try the B120i with ESXi. Make sure all of your firmware is at the latest revision. For best performance I think you need to back rev the ESXi driver for the B120i. That is discussed in several places in the forum.

Mine acts the same. And I'm running ESXi from the SD Card with 2 VMs on a SSD datastore and media on 4 x 4Tb drives in the bays.

I suspect disk activity may not be getting passed through to the LED.

I had to go look for you, since my Gen8 is in my garage so not normally in view!

I would boot the system with a different OS, something other than ESXi, to see how the light behaves. Are you booting ESXi from a USB stick? Keep in mind, ESXi runs from memory, so once it loads it will only show disk activity when running VM's. You may want to try the B120i with ESXi. Make sure all of your firmware is at the latest revision. For best performance I think you need to back rev the ESXi driver for the B120i. That is discussed in several places in the forum.

Thanks schoondoggy for your reply! I tried with Proxmox and CentOS 6 and the behavior was the same, Proxmox in ACHI mode and CentOS 6 in both AHCI and RAID.

I was booting ESX directly from the RAID1 created before. Yes, I'm aware that ESX loads itself to RAM, but then... while making heavy use of the RAID from a VM (installing heavy packages like java or databases) it LED behavior was "not logical" sometimes off, sometimes flashing, sometimes on (all this while the system was writing to disk) 

I was also sure of the hpvsa driver used, the 88 version in all cases. 

I'll try to update the BIOS rom, which is from 06/06/2014, iLO is at it's latest version.

Thanks again for taking time to reply!

Cheers and happy weekend!

Mine acts the same. And I'm running ESXi from the SD Card with 2 VMs on a SSD datastore and media on 4 x 4Tb drives in the bays.

I suspect disk activity may not be getting passed through to the LED.

I had to go look for you, since my Gen8 is in my garage so not normally in view!

Thanks for taking a look at it pykix!! and for your answer, like I sada to schoondoggy, I'll try now to update the BIOS firmware, (is it posible for you if you have time, to tell me which one are you using please) many many thanks!!!

I'm running the latest firmware for everything and the latest BIOS too.

Is the 06/06/2014 the latest? I tried to update using Intelligent Provisioning and apparently... my only posible update is the iLO, from version 2.10 to version.... 2.10 (WTF) see attached pics...

diags.PNG

update.PNG

iLO is 2.30

BIOS is J06 07/16/2015

Ok... that's strange now... did you manually downloaded the files? In my case it directly checked the HP site...