RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New to HomeServerShow and to Servers in general

SharnThoR

Hi Everyone!!!

First off...I'm EXTREMELY new to servers and just as new to HomeServerShow...

I've been working with computers for some time though, so I'm not COMPLETELY new :)

Current setup

Netgear DN200 2-bay NAS drive. Connected via Ethernet.

Trenet AC1700 router connecting nas drive and modem-router with each other. Connected via ethernet.

TP-LINK Ac1750 modem/router - connected to the internet and all computers/cellphones/tablets connects here. Connected via ethernet to the network.

Desktop Gaming PC - Used for downloads, gaming etc and is currently on 24/7. Connected via Wifi to the network.

Notebook - Used to stream movies/series to my TV and connected to TV via HDMI and wifi to the network.

Hardware Network Specs

Netgear Nas - Gigabit ethernet

TrendNet Router - Gigabit Ethernet and AC1700 wifi

TP-Link Modem/Router - Gigabit Ethernet and AC1750 wifi - Wifi speeds are shockingly slow though!

Desktop PC - 300mb/s Wifi and Gigabit Ethernet

Notebook - 300mb/s Wifi and 300mb/s Ethernet

We watch a lot of movies etc and I've been looking into a server for quite some time. Also, I want to be able to switch the Desktop off during the day etc.

Last week, I found a HP Microserver Gen 8 G1610T Celeron server at a BRILLIANT price, around R999 (South Africa), around $80! And...it's brand new.

Now, what I would like to do is move the HDD's from the NAS drive into the HP server, then have all my media on the server and have the server as the downloader as well.

I currently use Solar, SANZBD and from time to time, I'd download a torrent file. Otherwise, we've got a large enough collection of DVD"s etc that's stored on these hard drives.

The questions:

1. Which OS will work the best

2. Which OS will support the above mentioned software correctly

3. Will the server actually improve speeds and usage vs the Netgear Nas drive?

4. Will this OS above have enough security features to run 24/7?

5. Would it be recommended then to use the server as a proxy server for my home? 

6. Would the proxy server be safer for home use? Or are there any other options to follow with this?

I'll upgrade the RAM to 8GB most likely, so I'm not worried about that just yet.

My thoughts:

1. Install Windows 10 and use that as the OS. 

2. Windows 10 will support the software that I need

3. I do believe that the Netgear NAS drives aren't the best, so chances are quite good that the server will have a significant upgrade to speed

4. I'm sure Windows Server or even Red Hat Linux' security would be better? But would it be THAT much better?

5. I thought of using WinProxy and use the server then as a proxy server as well. Surely there's a bit more security around our network then?

6. Not sure here...

Either way, all the help and input would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• Joe_Miner

• schoondoggy

• SharnThoR

Why do you think Server Security will be tighter than a Desktop platform?  The security you need will be at the edge of your home network, specifically your router/firewall.  You could start with Windows 10 to see oif it give you all of the functioanality you need and if not then move up to Server Essentials or Server with the Essentials role enabled.

I didn't think that at all. I was wondering if I should add another point of security, in this case the server with proxy. 

Alternatively, just keep it as is and use the current modem/routers only.

Edit: What about Windows 10 drivers for the server? It seems I can't get hold of any Windows desktop platform drivers on the HP website?

Edited by SharnThoR

You're just going to over complicate things with a proxy server.  The big question is can you get enough security with ine one of the new N series routers or use something like pfSense or similar platform.

Okay, so in that case I'll just stick to what I have and ensure that I enable firewalls etc...

My big question then would be: what os? Since it doesn't look to me like HP is supporting any other OS other than server os with this server.

So, if the base needs are described above (media sharing), what would you do? Or what would your installation look like? Also, perhaps, what would you add?

I ahve a physical installation of WHS 2011, a virtual install of 2012R2 Essentials, and a virtual installation of Server 2016 Essentials.  The main box is still WHS as don't see any advantages of moving to 2012 yet and probably will not, opting to wait for 2015 to go RTM.  I've changed the bindings on IIS so I can reach all three from the outside.

I have also abandoned the WHS backup and moved to the free version of Veeam which is working very well.  I have not tried to restore one yet but do have the iso image burned to do so.  The Veeam backups are still going to a shared folder on the WHS server.

All of these sit behind an ASUS RT-N66U router which works very well for my needs.

Okay, I've gotten my hands on a copy of WIndows Server 2012 R2...

I've now downloaded the update ISO, am I correct in saying that this needs to be updated via the ILO port - then mount the image and run?

Once done with the updates, I can then install the OS?

-snip-

What about Windows 10 drivers for the server? It seems I can't get hold of any Windows desktop platform drivers on the HP website?

Check the links at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/ (partly quoted below)  you should be able to use S2012R2 drivers to load Windows 10 -- I've also used S2012R2 drivers to load S2016TP3.

WHAT HP Server DRIVERS to USE for Windows 8.1 8 7 Vista !!!

Windows 8.1 use Windows Server 2012 R2 HP Drivers

Windows 8 use Windows Server 2012 HP Drivers

Windows 7, WHS 2011 use Windows Server 2008 R2 HP Drivers

• 5 weeks later...

Okay...so with some more read ups etc and finally setting it up to run... These are my updates and questions...

1. With the raid controller, a y connector with 2 added SATA power adapters on, i installed a 32GB Sandisk Extreme readycache ssd.

2. I inserted 2x hard drives. 1 WD 3TB green, 1 160GB Seagate something. I installed them, at first, for testing purposes. 

3. I actually got Windows 2008 R2 installed and running...until I enabled AHCI mode... Now it doesn't want to boot

I've read that the ODD doesn't boot when enabling AHCI mode, so let me rather tell you what I would like to do then perhaps someone can help me implement it?...hopefully :)

I would like 4x hdd's installed into the Gen8 and use the 32GB Seagate as the operating system hard drive. I can install any OS, doesn't matter, but I have a copy of Windows Server 2008 R2, WIndows 7 and Windows10.

I will save my movies, pictures, series etc on these hard drives, so RAID is of little concern as I've got backups of them elsewhere. Also,movies will be watched and deleted, so no train smash there.

I don't want raid as I don't want backups of backups of backups, I literally need all the hard drive space that'll be inserted.

Please can someone give me some solid advice on this?

THANKS

Also...

If using Windows Server 2008 R2 for the OS, how would I go about sharing the media?

Plex or something? WIth my Netgear NAS, it was just shared drives that I accessed the filed from...