RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
e_merlin

Raid setup for home use - what do you recommend?

schoondoggy

I wasn't aware this forum called "Home Server Show" was populated by IT Professionals discussing enterprise level solutions. Rather, I was under the distinct impression that this was for home users trying to get advice about home solutions.

You guys are more than welcome to use RAID, and you seem to be very thorough. I certainly have never come across so many people that have spares of every last component in their home setup. That is fantastic, and I do not doubt that you have a very robust setup. But come on, that is not a realistic solution for 99% of home users. Most home users simply need/want a Synology, and a tiny proportion of those want to go the extra step of owning a MicroServer so they can tinker a bit more. Please don't give out misleading information saying "RAID is best, RAID is awesome, you should RAID all the things", when it's clear that most users a) do not understand the complexities and the drawbacks, b ) cannot afford to hold spares of everything, and c) may or may not have the technical abilities to troubleshoot when things go wrong.

Also, it would be nice if you would lay off the ad-hominem attacks, just because someone offers a different view to yours. You are clearly old-timers (not age-wise, I mean just looking at your post count), but I came in here all enthusiastic and all you have managed to do is put me off.

Thank you for your candor and for the proper use of the term ad hominem.  :)

I learned a long time ago that there are many solutions to a problem and the solution that I deemed best may not be the best answer for another individual. I learn a lot from this forum by reading how others approach a problem and analyzing the solution they put forward. The main reason I stay active in this forum is the environment it puts forward. The members here have stayed away from the 'old boy' or 'buddy' condescending attitude. I have tried many other forums and they all seem to drift into the things I despise, arrogant, condescending, 'I am smarter than you' BS. Knowledge is power, spread it around and it grows. Be a technology sponge, you can always take in more knowledge.

All that said, perception is your reality. Please stay active in the HSS forums. I think you will find that the group is very open and conscientious. I think jmwills made a good point,  "don't mistake passion for aggression". Many members of the forum are pro IT folks and sometime I catch myself trying to justify Enterprise equipment for home use. Currently, in the networking area of the forum you will see great discussions around Sophos Home UTM (an enterprise based product) right next to threads about Luma, Eero and Chime products that promise to simplify and secure the home network. Sorry for the monologue, I just wanted to address your concern and remind the forum members what makes this a great place to visit. 

• Like 1

rotor

Thanks @schoondoggy (and to the others) for making the special effort to welcome me. Having got it off my chest, I think we all understand each other now. =)

• Like 1

pcdoc

Thanks @schoondoggy (and to the others) for making the special effort to welcome me. Having got it off my chest, I think we all understand each other now. =)

Welcome to HSS forums.  We do banter back and fort and at times agree to disagree but always with respect.  Most of the topics on these forums have no right or wrong answer and we at times keep on debating it till all the points get on the table as it helps everyone here everything.  Don't stop contributing, we welcome it.

• Like 1

e_merlin

Well........ this has been a lively discussion!

First and foremost - a sincere thank you to everyone who has responded and participated.  I have thoughtfully read through this discussion a couple of times and referenced the good resources linked within.  I have learned much from the conversation and appreciate the mature commentary.  This is a great community with many great people in it.

For me, and I assume many of us, I am a bit of a tech enthusiast.  I can see where for some a RAID of any kind may not be the right solution.  For me, I think a RAID setup will be a good fit.  I have decided on RAID 10 with either 4 or 6 tb reds.  I will keep one spare drive on had at all times.  I think this gives me the performance and reliability I am looking for.  I do, however, wonder what options a larger bay box would afford.... Configuring 4 bays for Raid 10 with two for other purposes?

I am still sorting out a backup plan.  I will for sure be using crash plan or the like - whatever is native in QNAP seems to make the most sense at the moment.  I am struggling with client/pc data and backups.  My daughter has a HP stream with 32gb storage.  I know she will be using her share as primary storage on the NAS....

So a getting to a 3-2-1 is a bit murky.  I have a WD NAS that I will locate on site for important data backing up the QNAP.  I wonder if I should re-purpose my WHS box to backup the NAS, I have not looked at any FreeNAS and the like.  I really don't want to become a slave to another OS....  That is one of the reasons I am scuttling WHS.  I want this to be easy....

Thanks again - I am open to any feedback or advice you may have.

Cheers

jmwills

WHS is easy if you use Veeam Free backup as the client backups.  The backup mechanism is taken out of the picture as being reliant upon the Server OS, it's all client side.  Point the backups to a new shared folder on the server and away you go.

The restore function is a hybrid between WHS and Server Essentials depending on whether you want to use an image to restore bare metal or just recover files.

itGeeks

Thank you for your candor and for the proper use of the term ad hominem.  :)

I learned a long time ago that there are many solutions to a problem and the solution that I deemed best may not be the best answer for another individual. I learn a lot from this forum by reading how others approach a problem and analyzing the solution they put forward. The main reason I stay active in this forum is the environment it puts forward. The members here have stayed away from the 'old boy' or 'buddy' condescending attitude. I have tried many other forums and they all seem to drift into the things I despise, arrogant, condescending, 'I am smarter than you' BS. Knowledge is power, spread it around and it grows. Be a technology sponge, you can always take in more knowledge.

All that said, perception is your reality. Please stay active in the HSS forums. I think you will find that the group is very open and conscientious. I think jmwills made a good point,  "don't mistake passion for aggression". Many members of the forum are pro IT folks and sometime I catch myself trying to justify Enterprise equipment for home use. Currently, in the networking area of the forum you will see great discussions around Sophos Home UTM (an enterprise based product) right next to threads about Luma, Eero and Chime products that promise to simplify and secure the home network. Sorry for the monologue, I just wanted to address your concern and remind the forum members what makes this a great place to visit. 

Very well said and I agree 100%

Happy Holidays!

itGeeks

WHS is easy if you use Veeam Free backup as the client backups.  The backup mechanism is taken out of the picture as being reliant upon the Server OS, it's all client side.  Point the backups to a new shared folder on the server and away you go.

The restore function is a hybrid between WHS and Server Essentials depending on whether you want to use an image to restore bare metal or just recover files.

+1 for Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE, Been using it ever since I found out about it and it works great! I would install Veeam on all your Windows clients "excluding" The HP stream because of the 32GB limit then point all your backups to the QNAP and call it a day. For the HP you can just create a 1 time image of it and maybe every so often create an updated image but DON'T try and install Veeam on the HP because you will kill the performance/space, I know because we own 1 :)

You can download Veeam for free here: https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

Happy Holidays!

Edited by itGeeks

jmwills

^^^  What he said.

e_merlin

So - it is on the way and will be here next week - Merry Christmas to me :-)

On to hard drives .....  I was thinking about starting another thread, perhaps that would be more efficient.

I have decided on a RAID 10 configuration with either 4 ot 6 tb drives.  I have primarily used WD in all my PCs and serves with great success.  So I am leaning in that direction, but am a bit confused by what might make the most sense.

Here is what I think I know about my choices,

• WD Reds - 5400 rpm
  • WD Red Pro - 5400, better vibration dampening?
  • WD RE - Enterprise features.... 7200RPM

Then we have the while label versions that seem the best value.

5400 vs 7200 rpm drives - I have always used 5400 drives in my WHS and have no problem with playing content and the like.  Do you think that 7200 drives in a NAS are important?  I wonder if the trade off in heat and potential longevity is warranted?

I would consider other options as well.

What do you guys think?

EDIT - just found this guide on newegg.  I guess there are more difference in the Red Pros....

http://promotions.newegg.com/wd/14-3773/index.html?nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-Promotions-2014-_-WDRed-_-NA&gclid=CjwKEAjw0ueeBRCmhozc-_DRrlUSJABihBEE_t9R1XlHMlekzX74T7ZWSCkcR2Xzfr-O5gt_2KfugxoCHKnw_wcB

Edited by e_merlin

itGeeks

We still need to talk about drive scrubbing, prediction of failure and data destaging!  :)

Synology does "data scrubbing"  :)