RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
e_merlin

Raid setup for home use - what do you recommend?

e_merlin

Hi,

I will be closing the deal on a new QNAP very soon.  I am thinking about going with a 4 bay unit.  I am moving away from WHS2011.  

I have a photos, music, movies, files, etc... on the WHS totaling about 4 TBs of stuff.  I play on using an online backup service - probably crash plan within QNAP for my mission critical stuff.

What level of RAID do you recommend for me?

ShadowPeo

As it is a 4 disk solution I would go with RAID 5.

The general concencus (if there is such a thing in the IT community) is that you use RAID 5 up to 7-8 disks or when you are using disks of less than 4TB, once you exceed one of those things you start using RAID 6 as the effect of data loss at those capacities becomes much greater. The reason for the 7-8 disks as the upper limit of RAID 5 is you are stacking averages, when you get above that the risk of more disks dying during rebuild skyrockets, and thereby you end up with complete data loss (assuming no backup, RAID is not a backup nor can it replace one)

ShadowPeo

Just to clarify the above post, the stated disk sizes are for a RAID array using disks of less than 4TB and no more than 4 of them as you need to keep the RAID 5 array under 12TB for the math to work. Basically there is a 62% chance of an Unrecoverable Read Error (URE) during a rebuild on a RAID 5 Array once you go over 12TB, the more space (sectors specifically) you have the greater that percentage. RAID 6 is predicted to reach the same issue in 2019/2020.

If you want to learn more, and see the math that predicts this check out http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-6-stops-working-in-2019/

• Like 1

schoondoggy

I am a big fan of RAID5 and RAID6, when they are deployed on very smart controller. 4TB drives are about as big as I would use in a RAID5 on a 4 drive QNAP or Synology. If you have a failed drive, the parity rebuild is very hard on the other drives. RAID10 seems to be unpopular due to 50% capacity hit, but drive failure recovery is quick and is of low impact to the other drives.

• Like 1

awraynor

My TS-451+ arrived today and I'm looking at 4x4TB drives and was also thinking RAID5.

Nothing will be on there that couldn't be lost. Mostly a Plex server and a target

for yet another backup of my data. Now just waiting for some hard drive sales. 

schoondoggy

My TS-451+ arrived today and I'm looking at 4x4TB drives and was also thinking RAID5.

Nothing will be on there that couldn't be lost. Mostly a Plex server and a target

for yet another backup of my data. Now just waiting for some hard drive sales. 

$99 for White label 4TB WD Enterprise Drives, 1 year warranty from GoHardDrive.com:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4TB-64MB-Cache-7200RPM-Enterprise-Grade-SATA-6-0Gb-s-3-5-Hard-Drive-/160970197779?hash=item257a924b13:g:7SEAAMXQ9u1RELXD

• Like 1

awraynor

Nice. I have seen the 4TB Red from WalMart for $150. Do you think the 3-year warranty is worth the extra $50

based on your prior experience with white label drives?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/WD-Red-4TB-Internal-Hard-Drive-for-NAS/30579529

schoondoggy

I have had no issues with white label drives. These are new, not refurb, so they should be fine and they are enterprise versions.

Four 4TB Reds at $150 is $600. Four WL 4TB at $100 is $400. You could buy a 5th drive for a spare and still be $100 ahead.

Of course, if you buy these on my recommendation, they will certainly exploded the minute you power up the QNAP! :-)

awraynor

Yeah. It's like telling my mother how great a restaurant is and of course she hates it.

Do you see any real heat issues with the 7200 over the 5400 drives in such a small container?

I don't know that anything I do would really benefit from it?