RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
gparaskevas

Upgrading to HP MS Gen8 Cluster and Ubuntu combaitbility

gparaskevas

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, I hope this is not a repost although I have search quite enough and haven't find something similar.

Anyway my question is regarding a cluster I will be creating but before I go on with Purchasing/Building it I need to be sure that the hardware support it self and the software I am about to run.

I will purchase:

- 3x Microservers Gen8

- 3x 16GB ram kits

- 3x XeonE3-1230v2

I will run Ubuntu 14.04 server so I would love to know if it fully supported (iLO,Lan,all sata ports).

Second i am NOT going to use raid(bios set to AHCI) because i will use CEPH, so is there a problem with  AHCI and having all disks installed? will it be noisy if no raid is configured?

I need to use both the ODD sata and the others sata ports. I will install ubuntu on a HDD connected to the ODD sata and I will use a USB flash drive for grub(as far as i know microserver will not boot from ODD sata if other disks are present).

Third I will load 2 disks (1TB 3.5) on each server for for storage.

Last I will use OpenStack with KVM for virtualization. I will be very glad to post a lot of information while building the cluster.

Are there any concerns on my design? As far as i know those cpus are supported. All my questions concern ubuntu + MS gen8 and generaly MS gen8 with the specified hardware configuration.

thank you all very much!

George

Edited by gparaskevas

Robertomcat

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, I hope this is not a repost although I have search quite enough and haven't find something similar.

Anyway my question is regarding a cluster I will be creating but before I go on with Purchasing/Building it I need to be sure that the hardware support it self and the software I am about to run.

I will purchase:

- 3x Microservers Gen8

- 3x 16GB ram kits

- 3x XeonE3-1230v2

I will run Ubuntu 14.04 server so I would love to know if it fully supported (iLO,Lan,all sata ports).

Second i am NOT going to use raid(bios set to AHCI) because i will use CEPH, so is there a problem with  AHCI and having all disks installed? will it be noisy if no raid is configured?

I need to use both the ODD sata and the others sata ports. I will install ubuntu on a HDD connected to the ODD sata and I will use a USB flash drive for grub(as far as i know microserver will not boot from ODD sata if other disks are present).

Third I will load 2 disks (1TB 3.5) on each server for for storage.

Last I will use OpenStack with KVM for virtualization. I will be very glad to post a lot of information while building the cluster.

Are there any concerns on my design? As far as i know those cpus are supported. All my questions concern ubuntu + MS gen8 and generaly MS gen8 with the specified hardware configuration.

thank you all very much!

George

Disconnect the AHCI mode, the micro server will not boot from the SATA port ODD once you put the disks in bays. Here there is much information, although you have to look slowly, at the end you find something. http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/

Metallus

So just two concerns regarding the setup:

One would be that the RAM needs to be ECC RAM, or else the system will not boot.

Second, depending on what you plan to do with the servers, I really think you should AT LEAST add an additional cooler on the heatsink after replacing the CPUs.

The AHCI noise problem has been fixed in the latest BIOS update. So from the hardware point of view, I don't think there are anymore problems.

About whether Ubuntu is fully supported, I think it should be. But before you install Ubuntu and Openstack, try experimenting a little with Proxmox. I used it as a test system and it was really easy to setup and use. I'm sure you will learn a lot in the process.

gparaskevas

@robertomcat

Thanks for the link I have seen a lot there that really help me.

@metalus

Thank you for the info. I am working with openstack so its one way road for me, not that I don't like proxmox.

As for the CPU fan I will most probably do something.

gparaskevas

So to sum up:

Hardware is ok if I install a better coller(which I will, @Metalus any suggestions on a 120 cooler? i have seen some posts about noctua..) and ECC memory and also update the BIOS to latest version(official?)

Ubuntu seems to be supported (why wouldn't it be!)

And booting from the odd sata port has a number of workarounds as far as I have read:

- change odd cables with sata1,2 (AHCI)

- create single drive raid 0 on odd (RAID) i dont realy like that.

- use a usb for GRUB (AHCI)

- use legacy mode which i wouldnt use even with a gun on my head...

Thanks guys!

Edited by gparaskevas

Robertomcat

A question. Will there be any problem leaving 24/7 openSUSE operating system? I ask because I know there are operating systems that are optimized for these tasks. A greeting!

gparaskevas

I am not realy familiar with openSUE(as a server platform at least), I am though familiar with Ubuntu/Debian Centos/Redhat. So I believe all of them (openSUSE included) especialy depending on the configuration will suit those needs. Ubuntu is also the most popular OpenStack deployment/development platform so there you go!

I am not experimenting by the way. I have already a cluster based Ubuntu/OpenStack/Ceph and I am looking for a new hardware to upgrade my old one.

Anyway thank you very much for your suggestion.

George :)

P.S. As I work for an OpenStack Integration Company whose platform of choise is Centos and Ubuntu I think that alone justifies my choise :P.

Edited by gparaskevas

Robertomcat

I am not realy familiar with openSUE(as a server platform at least), I am though familiar with Ubuntu/Debian Centos/Redhat. So I believe all of them (openSUSE included) especialy depending on the configuration will suit those needs. Ubuntu is also the most popular OpenStack deployment/development platform so there you go!

I am not experimenting by the way. I have already a cluster based Ubuntu/OpenStack/Ceph and I am looking for a new hardware to upgrade my old one.

Anyway thank you very much for your suggestion.

George :)

P.S. As I work for an OpenStack Integration Company whose platform of choise is Centos and Ubuntu I think that alone justifies my choise :P.

Thank you to help me!

gparaskevas

Thank you to help me!

I may have missunderstood you! Yes openSUSE will be more than good for 24/7 use. But i cannot omit to say that you can always check centos and ubuntu as they are very popular as well.

:)

thanks again

George

Robertomcat

I may have missunderstood you! Yes openSUSE will be more than good for 24/7 use. But i cannot omit to say that you can always check centos and ubuntu as they are very popular as well.

:)

thanks again

George

I decided to install the operating system, because SUSE also has a specific software for servers, but this headless, what I was looking for. And I thought that would be the best option. Thank you!