RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Rebuild Questions

jmwills

I have an old Dell 600SC server that I want to refurbish with a new i3 based chipset. A quick review tells me the original server has a Micro-ATX board (seems strange) but I'll take that at face value.

Now my question is this, do I need another server based board such as this one or can I use any Micro-ATX board for this project?

The case has a built-in removable 4 drive bay caddy so I was thinking of using the Icy Dock adapter to combine (RAID) two 2.5" drives and removing the present floppy drive.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

(By listening to BYOB E08, at least I now know ATX means AT Extended)

You should be fine with any old board. What you'll basically be getting out of the deal is a relatively versatile and durable case. That particular series of PowerEdge boxes are typically overgrown desktops anyway.

What you will need to watch out for is the front panel connectors and any RAID cards/backplanes that may be in the box. The front panel connectors are frequently pushed into a single connector block that is match specifically to the motherboard that came with the server. You'll either need to get replacement switches and LEDs (Microcenter I know sells them), or you'll need to spend some time splicing into the wires.

Most entry-level servers will come with RAID on-board, or it will come with a RAID daughter card that "activates" RAID capabilities in the onboard northbridge. What this means is that you will likely not be able to re-use any RAID cards that came with your unit. This goes for any storage backplanes that may be lingering inside as well.

Good luck!

Guest no-control

You didn't mention what the use of this box is for but if its to run WHSv1 you cannot RAID the drives. Second any mATX mobo with the features/slots you want should be fine and yeah what he ^^^ said watch out for the OEM connectors for items such as power, reset, card readers, etc...

The box has no RAID hardware whatsoever but does have two powerful fans, in fact noisy as I best remember. As far as the purpose, it will probably be destined to be a Vail box possibly an SBS 7 server once I return home and 3 TB drives are affordable. The Icy Dock adapter looks inviting so I can save a drive bay for better storage utilization.

The case should be fine for a Micro-ATX board. As mrossco said check that you have the normal connections for the front panel. The other thing I would check which is more important is the power supply. Dell tends to "under scope" their power supplies and it may not be suitable for a core I series chip. See if it has a label and check the 12V output to make sure that you have at "least" 18 amps available otherwise I would suggest and new PS and case.

Forgot to mention, I would be getting a new PS, I just love that case....it's built like a brick...ummm house. Basically, the only thing to survive the original server will be the case.

I'm a little pessimistic that you will be able to use the case without modding the connectors for power switch, reset switch, hdd led, etc. You seriously need to look into that before you go ordering anything.