RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

B120i (in AHCI mode) + P222/P420(in RAID1) = fan noise?

lgg42

Hello guys!

Before start writting about my doubt, I must say that I've been reading this forum for around two or three months. Since I looked this server as a potential purchase and I wanted to know all possible things about it.

I already bought it and it will arrive tomorrow. My setup is:

HP MicroServer G8 G1610T/2GB

2 x Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 ECC for HP

2 x WD NAS Red 1TB SATA3

1 x Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB

I plan (for now) to make a RAID1 with the 1 TB drives and install ESXi 5.1 or 5.5 there (o maybe install it in the microSD and use the RAID 1 volume as main datastore). As an option, I could instead install Ubuntu Server in this RAID1 and setup KVM. As you may see, my main purpose is using this server for virtualization. I plan to install the SSD in the ODD port, but won't be used for now,

Recently, Proxmox has caught my attention, I really really like it and would maybe prefer to use it instead of ESXi, recent version 4 is very neat and I'm sure version 5 will come with many interesting features. In that case, I'd like to put the Proxmox Installation in the SSD and use the RAID1 as datastore.

But, for what I've read, Debian (Proxmox's base) doesn't have a proper diver for the B120i controller, so, setting up a RAID0 for the SSD in the ODD port (for making it the booteable device) won't work with Proxmox. My first option, set the 
B120i in AHCI mode, but I couldn't have RAID1 and Proxmox for now doesn't support software RAID setup during installation, AND I'll be having the fan noise issue.

Nevertheless, I have in mind buying a hardware RAID (P222 or P420 for having iLO compatibility), within one month or two.

So, my idea with this card would be, making the 1TB drives RAID1 with the P222/P420 controller, and set the B120i in AHCI mode to boot from the SDD drive in the ODD port (after installing Proxmox there of course).

Now, my questions are, since I'm not sure about the whole B120i-in-ahci-fan-noise issue:

1- Having a RAID1 with the P222/P420 and the B120i in AHCI mode will trigger the fan noise bug?
2- Will this latter configuration be possible?

Many, Many thanks in advance!

Edited by lgg42

The fan speed issue has been fixed for over a year now. You're reading old threads with bad info so it is perpetuating the idea that AHCI = fan noise.

But, for what I've read, Debian (Proxmox's base) doesn't have a proper diver for the B120i controller, so, setting up a RAID0 for the SSD in the ODD port (for making it the booteable device) won't work with Proxmox. My first option, set the 

The B120i controller is just the Intel SATA controller with custom firmware + driver. If you're missing the driver in your OS then it'll just work like an AHCI controller since your OS talks directly to the controller anyway.

B120i in AHCI mode to boot from the SDD drive in the ODD port

The SATA controller in AHCI mode doesn't support booting from the ODD port and you don't want to plug a SSD into there anyway because it is limited to 3Gbps. As you're installing a SAS/SATA controller into the PCIe slot, the SATA controller on the motherboard is no longer connected to the drive cages. This means you can plug in a SFF-8087 to discrete SATA forward breakout cable to use the 4 ports that were connected to the drive bays. Port 1 + 2 on that connector run at 6Gbps. Port 3 + 4 and the ODD port only run at 3Gbps.

Make sure it is a forward breakout cable. There is a reverse breakout cable which won't work.

Edited by GotNoTime

Thank you SO much for this information!! And to think that I've been reading so many old info.
But... even in that case,.. I haven't found a thread about the solution for the fan noise problem. Do you have any link I could read or maybe some steps to follow?

I really thank you dude! This fan noise issue was my first concern.

Also, being able to use the 6 GB/s ports for the SDD drive is super!!

Edited by lgg42

Just flash ilo to latest and bios to latest

and there is no fan speed issue

Thanks for the Reply Shonk, 

Quoting the main links page it would be like:

1976dan: Word of advice before u do anything besides unboxing your micro server

Plug in power

Plug in keyboard

Plug in mouse

Plug in monitor

Plug in network cable

Boot it up and press f10 and update your firmware of your micro server and this will Most prob fix a lot of problems..

Like that? or by any other special procedure (manually downloading files, etc)? 

Thanks again.

I just had to register and ask this: Is the fan issue really one-hundred-percent fixed nowadays? I'm idling my gen8 at a comfortable 6 % fanspeed atm, according to iLO. Would this still hold true if I install a P222 or P420?

Any clarification is greatly appreciated.

Well, I don't know for a P222 or a P420 card (I'm using B120i ). I've already tried RAID1 mode with ESXi 5.5 U1 and fan was at 6%

Like an hour ago I switched to AHCI mode and installed ESXi 5.5 U2 in the disk inside the bay 1, right now I'm installing a CentOS 7 VM and fan is at 12% but still very silent.

EDIT: add information about firmware (my server arrived just yesterday)

System ROM J06 System ROM Date 06/06/2014

Backup System ROM Date 06/06/2014

iLO Firmware Version 2.10 Jan 15 2015

Cheers.

Edited by lgg42

I just had to register and ask this: Is the fan issue really one-hundred-percent fixed nowadays? I'm idling my gen8 at a comfortable 6 % fanspeed atm, according to iLO. Would this still hold true if I install a P222 or P420?

Any clarification is greatly appreciated.

Any RAID controller Card or low power Video Card in the expansion slot will add heat which should cause the fan to run more -- which has been my experience.  You can check some of the links in the links Thread for supplemental cooling of that area http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/

and here are some other ideas http://homeservershow.com/supplemental-cooling-gen8-microserver-p222.html 

• Like 1