RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Cloaky

Recommendations on my Home Network

Cloaky

Hello everyone,

I don't have much experience with networking so I decided to create this post to get some recommendations as you guys as experts.

I am updating my home network and this is the setup I want to have. I don't currently everything in the picture, but I already want to account for everything.

I will use it for

• Stream media from NAS to TVs, PCs and Tablet (0-3 simultaneously, Full HD)
  • Stream media from Netflix (0-2 simultaneously, Full HD)
  • Store and edit a bunch of pictures in the NAS
  • Regular Web browsing, email and chatting 
  • Play Games on PCs (1-2 simultaneously)
  • Stream music from Spotify to Sonos and Tablet (0-2 simultaneously)
  • Stream music from NAS to Sonos and Tablet (0-2 simultaneously)
  • Have a bunch of house automation stuff going on
  • Have the IP cameras recording into the NAS

Besides all that, when friends/family come home there are usually 0-5 more devices connected into the network (Guest Wifi)

I did search a bit about which Router I should get and I got a few different recommendations, but they all focused on DLink or Asus. 

• 1x D-Link AC3200
  • 1x D-Link AC5300
  • 1x ASUS RT-AC5300
  • 1x ASUS RT-AC3200
  • 1x ASUS RT-AC88U (AC3100)
  • 2x ASUS RT-AC68U (AC1900)

Besides the router, I also need a switch with 16-24 ports. I have no idea which one I should go for. I was also considering connect the NAS directly into the router as some of those have link aggregation, is there any performance loss/gain?

Home.jpg

Thanks for the help people!

Edited by Cloaky

pcdoc

You can check out some the articles on my site as I have gone down many of the same choices,  In a nut shell, consider the QNAP as it is Intel based and much faster at most things especially video and audio. I tested mine with 5 full blu -ray streams at the same time and barely taxed it.  With dual NICs and a RAID 5, streaming becomes a piece of cake.  They just released a new model Called the TS-451+, and the TS-453Mini  As for switches, any gigabyte switch should work.  I really like the DGS-1024 and you can find them on sale quite offen.  The reality is they are mostly the same and mostly good so you will not go wrong.  Find a good deal on a Dlink or Netgear and you should be good,  As for routers, I will leave that recommendation to someone else as I have been using a software solution for years.

itGeeks

You can check out some the articles on my site as I have gone down many of the same choices,  In a nut shell, consider the QNAP as it is Intel based and much faster at most things especially video and audio. I tested mine with 5 full blu -ray streams at the same time and barely taxed it.  With dual NICs and a RAID 5, streaming becomes a piece of cake.  They just released a new model Called the TS-451+, and the TS-453Mini  As for switches, any gigabyte switch should work.  I really like the DGS-1024 and you can find them on sale quite offen.  The reality is they are mostly the same and mostly good so you will not go wrong.  Find a good deal on a Dlink or Netgear and you should be good,  As for routers, I will leave that recommendation to someone else as I have been using a software solution for years.

Mike the DGS-1024D does "Link Aggregation"? I think I may have one of these switches in cold storage that I could sell Cloaky. For a 24 Port smart-switch I would recommend the NetGear GS724T

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-GS724T-Gigabit-Managed/dp/B00I5W5EGA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448804689&sr=8-1&keywords=GS724T

This switch will allow you to setup "Link Aggregation" of static or dynamic aka LACP. As pcdoc said getting a NAS that has two or more NIC's in it will give the the option of teaming both those NIC's to provide you 2 GB of throughput, Highly recommended if your going to have lots of devices hitting the NAS at once. Some may argue that the devices hitting the NAS are not enough to saturate the 1 GB link but trust me forward thinking is the best policy for saving money. For a un-manged 24 port switch anther option to the DGS-1024D would be a NetGear JGS-524 but there is not much difference in price, For 40.00 more go GS724T.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-JGS524NA-24-Port-Rackmount/dp/B0002CWPW2/ref=cm_wl_huc_item 

Remember this switch is going to be the heart/foundation of your network so choose wisely.

As for off the shelf wireless/router option I would go with Asus, I have many in service and they work great and they even provided some gateway protection such as malicious website blocking and virus scanning using the trend-micro engine. All the models may not support this so just be careful when ordering. Even though I recommend Asus there is somthing to consider here, How many sqft of wireless coverage do you need? How many floors are in your house that need wireless? Are you going to need wireless outside? This will dictate if an all-in-one solution is for you or you need something like Open-Mesh for your AP's.

What software package are you using to stream from your NAS to all your devices? If your looking for a recommendation then look at Plex, They have clients for just about anything you can think of. I love Plex.

https://plex.tv/

Another option though I don't use it is Emby, The main difference of these two is Emby supports Live TV and Plex does not. https://emby.media/

The only other thing I want to add at this time is you stated your thinking of plugging the NAS directly into the router because some of your router options have "Link Aggregation" The only thing that should be plugged into your router is your internet line to the WAN port and a feed from one of the LAN ports to your switch and that's it, All your devices should be plugged into your big main switch for best performance.

Hope this info helps...

Edited by itGeeks

Cloaky

I already own the Synology 415+, I don't plan on changing it now. I want to focus on the router + switch for now. But I will keep that in mind for the future. It is always good to have recommendations. Thanks!

Mike the DGS-1024D does "Link Aggregation"? I think I may have one of these switches in cold storage that I could sell Cloaky. For a 24 Port smart-switch I would recommend the NetGear GS724T

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-GS724T-Gigabit-Managed/dp/B00I5W5EGA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448804689&sr=8-1&keywords=GS724T

This switch will allow you to setup "Link Aggregation" of static or dynamic aka LACP. As pcdoc said getting a NAS that has two or more NIC's in it will give the the option of teaming both those NIC's to provide you 2 GB of throughput, Highly recommended if your going to have lots of devices hitting the NAS at once. Some may argue that the devices hitting the NAS are not enough to saturate the 1 GB link but trust me forward thinking is the best policy for saving money. For a un-manged 24 port switch anther option to the DGS-1024D would be a NetGear JGS-524 but there is not much difference in price, For 40.00 more go GS724T.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-JGS524NA-24-Port-Rackmount/dp/B0002CWPW2/ref=cm_wl_huc_item 

Remember this switch is going to be the heart/foundation of your network so choose wisely.

As for off the shelf wireless/router option I would go with Asus, I have many in service and they work great and they even provided some gateway protection such as malicious website blocking and virus scanning using the trend-micro engine. All the models may not support this so just be careful when ordering. Even though I recommend Asus there is somthing to consider here, How many sqft of wireless coverage do you need? How many floors are in your house that need wireless? Are you going to need wireless outside? This will dictate if an all-in-one solution is for you or you need something like Open-Mesh for your AP's.

What software package are you using to stream from your NAS to all your devices? If your looking for a recommendation then look at Plex, They have clients for just about anything you can think of. I love Plex.

https://plex.tv/

Another option though I don't use it is Emby, The main difference of these two is Emby supports Live TV and Plex does not. https://emby.media/

The only other thing I want to add at this time is you stated your thinking of plugging the NAS directly into the router because some of your router options have "Link Aggregation" The only thing that should be plugged into your router is your internet line to the WAN port and a feed from one of the LAN ports to your switch and that's it, All your devices should be plugged into your big main switch for best performance.

Hope this info helps...

Yes, I fully agree. I want to make it future proof. At least for a while haha. I rather spend a bit more now a have some flexibility in the future.

I currently use Plex or the Native DS Video (sometimes I need subs so I use the native solution because of the hardware transcoding).

I live in an apartment so I don't need external wireless.

To be honest, I currently own a DIR-655 (N300) and I get wifi in most of the apartment, at least on every place that I care. It is place right in the middle of my home. It is around 2000 sqtf in a single floor.

I was considering having 2 routers so I could move every slow 2.4 device into one of them (IP cameras, logitech harmony) so they wouldn't slow the rest of the network.

Thanks!