RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HDD configuration of Xpenology for Gen8 MS

mulmul

Hi,

I'm a newbie and have read quite a lot of useful stuff here. I'd like to have some questions on the following:

1. My config: G1610T (J06 07/16/2015, iLO 4 adv 2.30, B120i v5.0), 12GB RAM, 2 Toshiba 3TB 7200 RPM SATA III HDD
  2. Target to store important family photos and videos as NAS (target xpenology) 
  3. I think I'll install it as bare metal > ESXi as I don't need to run other VMs currently.
  4. For the HDD configuration, I'm wondering which will be better:
    • i - 2 HDD in RAID 1 by B120i, then in Xpenology just as a BASIC volume HDD
    • ii - 2 HDD as ACHI mode, then in Xpenology set as SHR

So, for such configurations, I'd like to compare the following factors:

• ease of restoring if the server is broken or 1 HDD is broken. If I have another PC running a Xpenology VM, is that possible to plug back those HDDs and then got back the data?
  • HDD spin down: both options can set spin down or park? 
  • Power and fan consumption. Is that lower fan utilization only when running in B120i RAID mode?
  • HDD monitoring: iLO if RAID and Xpenology if AHCI? 
  • As I don't plan to turn on 7x24 (to increase the lifespan for the HDD also), I'll shut down the server and start when needed. Though, as no S3 suspension support officially, is there any mod or methods to make the boot up faster?

Thanks a lot!

The B120i controller is actually just the SATA controller in the Intel chipset with a HP firmware and HP driver. It is just doing software RAID. The benefit of it is that the disk metadata is the same as the proper HP SmartArray RAID controllers so you can transfer the disks across.

i - 2 HDD in RAID 1 by B120i, then in Xpenology just as a BASIC volume HDD

The necessary driver for the B120i controller doesn't exist for the kernel used by Xpenology as it is a binary only driver. You have to use AHCI if you're running it directly on the Gen8 Microserver.

HDD spin down: both options can set spin down or park?

The Intel SATA controller in B120i mode doesn't support spindown but you can't use it anyway as mentioned above.

Power and fan consumption. Is that lower fan utilization only when running in B120i RAID mode?

The fan issue was fixed ages ago in the BIOS. People keep finding old posts about it.

HDD monitoring: iLO if RAID and Xpenology if AHCI?

No monitoring as you don't have the Intel SATA controller in B120i mode and it is unlikely that you'll be able to load the iLO AMS packages into Xpenology for monitoring whilst in AHCI mode.

is there any mod or methods to make the boot up faster?

No. It is designed using Proliant server technology and will do thorough checks during startup which can't be disabled.

Be aware that there is an issue with Xpenology wiping out the BIOS settings. The Synology Diskstation software is trying to write the firmware settings of the Synology hardware but those settings are incompatible with the HP BIOS. I have no idea why the people that make the Xpenology cracked version of Diskstation don't fix it.

I don't use Xpenology or DiskStation so somebody else will have to give you more details about operation.

Edited by GotNoTime

• 1 year later...

Hi!

@mulmul, did you try any option (RAID set by B120i or by Xpenology)?

I'm asking the same question and don't understand what are the impacts of each solution.

Thank you for your feedback!

Jeremy