RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New MS Gen8, need some help from you guys..

rbuljo

Hi, first time poster here.. Be gentle..

New and happy owner of a brand new Gen8 MS, upgraded the hw to 8GB ram and an Xeon E3-1265l v2. got the xeon dirt-cheap 2nd hand, real happy about the find.

OS is installed on a SSD in the ODD port. 2x 2TB drives in RAID-1 for backups, and 2TB + 4TB for media etc.

Searched and read numerous posts, but alas....

Trying to get RAID 1 working with Ubuntu Server and the b120i. it is frustrating to say the least. :blink:

Everything is peaches up to the point I want to have Raid 1 working in Ubuntu..

But the array I configured as a RAID1 in UAC doesnt show up as 1 drive, it show both the 2TB drives, it is clearly not in Raid 1 mode as i want...

anybody had success with this recipe?

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8426-installing-ubuntu-to-ssd-in-odd-bay-with-b120i-raid-1/ 

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hp-iss-team/hp-storage
sudo add
-apt-repository ppa:hp-iss-team/hpvsa-update
sudo apt
-get update
sudo apt
-get install hpvsa

Next blacklist AHCI:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

add and save:
blacklist = ahci
sudo update
-initramfs u
sudo reboot

I cant get this working, following the instructions to the letter, except where "blacklist = ahci" is stated, I use it without the "=". so just "blacklist ahci"

but when the ahci is blacklisted i cant boot back into ubuntu. it cant find the SSD disk where the boot partition is and the whole OS takes a crap.... reinstall....

If I skip the blacklist step, everything is working fine except the Raid array, all HDD present etc.

what to do?? keep banging my head against a wall and try to make this work, or go for a software raid setup? but I kind of wanted to get the raid working from the b120i....

please, any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Forget about the b120i, it doesn't actually do anything meaningful. It's a firmware-only "fake RAID" controller. The only difference between the b120i mode and the AHCI mode is the firmware applied to the ICH controller built into the Intel SATA chipset.

Since you are already running Linux, you have far better and more manageable options, including MD-RAID and ZFS.

But specific to your question, if you really are intent on using the b120i for no sane reason, there is likely more than one problem.

1) If you installed onto AHCI and THEN put the disks into RAID mode, IIRC, the disk size visible through b120i is smaller as b120i mode reserves some space on the end of the disk. If you are using GPT, that will almost certainly clobber at least the GPT label on the back of the disk.

2) There is a possibility that the b120i driver isn't getting put into the initramfs. Try adding it specifically (on Fedora/EL it would be dracut --add-drivers option, you'll have to figure out what the equivalent incantation is on ubuntu). Otherwise all you are doing is removing the ahci driver and not replacing it with something else, so there is no driver capable of reading the disks at all.

hi, Ive come to the same conclusions myself..

but i think i need to use the b120i for raid 0 on all devices so i can boot of the ssd in the odd port.. seem about right?

I'm not sure if you need to do anything special to boot off a port other than the 4 hotplug ones, but even if that were not possible you don't need b120i. Just make sure grub bootloader is installed on the hotpluggable disks. Standard partitioning these days is that to ensure appropriate alignment for most eventualities and storage mediums, the first partition starts at 1MB. Grub boot block that gets loaded by the boot sector lives in that space between sectors 64 and 2047. Once this is executed, BIOS has no further say in the boot process and it's all up to grub. Grub brings it's own drivers, so as long as the disk on the extra port shows up as AHCI or ATA, it should work.

Grub even supports booting straight off ZFS (depends on the version, and you need to disable some of the more recent feature flags on the ZFS pool at creation time as grub's support is a bit behind.

From there on there is nothing at all stopping you from having your rootfs and /boot on the SSD hanging of any device that grub can find, and there is northing stopping you from making the 4 primary disks into a RAID0 stripe. But you shouldn't use RAID0 for any data that you evenremotely care about losing - which may be the case here. It's just that most people don't have enough data they don't care about at all that is big enough to require RAID0-ing multiple disks.

Edited by gordan

• 4 weeks later...