RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
psykix

Arstechnica Ubiquiti impressions..

psykix

Well it seems as though the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO has been put back to next year in the UK. The release date keeps slipping and slipping.

I don't really need anything fancy, but do want AC1750. I have ethernet on the left and right of the house, so a much easier alternative would be 2 access points on the existing cables.

Suggestions?

psykix

I may wait and see what the Eero are like, but that's another product that keeps missing its shipping dates.

snapper

Suggestions?

To tide you over and see if you like Ubiquiti, you could get a UAP-AC-LITE. I have one and it works well.

Biggest problem for me is its PoE is 24v, not 48v.

Or there are a pair of the older UAP-AC on eBay UK now for £125 each...

Then upgrade to the new UAP-AC-PRO once they arrive here - you can then just adopt them into your Unifi controller without having to reconfigure from scratch...

psykix

I do have a working solution at the moment in that I have a D-Link DIR890/L which is a pretty high end consumer router with AC wifi in the living room (configured as an AP), and I have a BT Home Hub 5 just acting as an access point in the other room. It does cover the house, but roaming is a bit flaky..

I can wait until the Ubiquiti is released I guess in the absence of a reasonable cost permanent solution being available now.

Edited by psykix

HellDiverUK

Unless you have a huge/solid house, then one of the better Asus routers should do your job.  

I have a RT-AC87U sitting in the top of a wardrobe upstairs, and I get fantastic AC signal all round the house.  Even diagonally opposite end of the house (where my HTPC is) gets a 433Mb signal that's strong and stable enough to run 1080p 3D videos with no issues at all.

House is a 2 storey timber frame. 

Edited by HellDiverUK

psykix

Problem seems to be that it's a fairly modern house and all the walls are insulated with fibreglass.

I've never managed to get one router to cover the entire house since the place where the WAN connection is located is to one side of the house.

I've had MANY routers.. everytime a new one comes out, I feel the urge to upgrade! Last 2 were the Asus RT-AC68U followed by a Nighthawk R8000 and now the D-Link DIR-890/L.

I figured that if I go Sophos/Wireless AP then I may kill the urge to upgrade all the time!!

psykix

Well.. I got myself a D-Link DAP-2695 from Ebay for £86 so I'm sorted for an AP now :-)

Just gotta figure where to put the thing now - it works great even from one side of the house, but it's not the prettiest thing in the world, so hidden in a loft space would be good!

ShadowPeo

Interesting read that (it has been sitting in my read queue since this post was made). Interesting notes on the functions/standards/features that are/are not available. I have been using a similar product, which works on a similar function (namely Aerohive) professionally for a while and I have got a couple of the AP's at home I use for testing, this product seems to offer many of the same functions but at a much reduced cost (especially when you take into account the fees to use the cloud based management system offered by Aerohive).

It will be interesting to see if those roaming functions are added on schedule as I may be tempted to put them in at home (I was already considering trying out an AirFibre system to some of the outbuildings on the property as the fibre terminations are not cheap).

What concerns me most about it at this point however is the massive performance hit it seems to take with multiple SSID's, the Aerohives and Cisco devices I have deployed around the place also take a performance hit when this is done (I know this is not strictly a fair comparison as we are talking about much different "classes" of equipment here but they are the two systems I have used that have similar features), but it does not seem to be on such a massive scale. Although from their wording it sounds like it could be down to the built in guest network and not multiple SSID's per say.

My second concern is the use of Java for the controller, and whilst it makes logical sense due to the mostly agnostic nature of Java, it is after all just Java and it is a pain to deal with.

Thirdly, standards exist for a reason, I do not like the idea of having to use their passive PoE systems when 802.1a and 802.1af are perfectly good and are a ratified standards.

I certainly hope that the system comes along and improves (perhaps even adding an "appliance" for the less technical home users as I am seeing more and more properties, be they homes, or small to medium enterprises that could make use of this technology and a simple "starter pack" with two AP's a PoE+ switch and an appliance (perhaps even built into/with the switch) running the server. A nice UI, with logical setup wizards and good documentation all at a much more affordable price than the Aerohives/Cisco and their ilk and you could be on to a winner especially with the home and SME users, as many of them have little or no funds to get the high-end equipment but still can make use of many of the more advanced features.