RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
psykix

Arstechnica Ubiquiti impressions..

psykix

Yeah, we are spoilt for choice somewhat now.

I looked at the Draytek AP-910C and even Cisco have their WAP371 which is fairly inexpensive.

pcdoc

Let us know what you think.  I have two of them and donated them to some friends as they were continuously dropping and the performance was not what I wanted,  The other issue was a non standard POE injector limiting you on how you can scale.  I had the version below yours so you may have better luck.

psykix

The UAP-AC-PRO is not available yet in the UK.

I think I will only need 1 AP if I can get a cable run to the centre of the house on the ceiling - however, that is much easier to say than to achieve.

I'm still mulling over my options!

schoondoggy

I forgot to mention, I am currently using EnGenius for my WAP. It works great. May upgrade soon and I keep thinking of trying other brands, but in hindsight EnGenius has been rock solid. I use a EAP600 upstairs and it does a good job of covering the top floor, first floor and the basement. I may try a EAP1200H, $139 or the EAP1750H $211.

I have seamless steel siding so not much WiFi gets out to the patio. I am thinking of putting an outdoor access point out there, something simple like ENS202EXT, $79.

If EnGenius is available where you are, check them out.

Dave

You just reminded me about EnGenius.  Did the HSS Meetup AP stay with me Kevin or did it go back with you?  I may try it in the center of my house.  I totally forgot that it's in the Meetup box with all the switches and cables!  Otherwise, I was thinking about picking up this Netgear that is on sale at Amazon.  http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless-Router-Gigabit-R6200/dp/B008HO9DIG/

Royco

What would you think would be the best Ubiquiti model for at home: the lite or the pro?

schoondoggy

You just reminded me about EnGenius.  Did the HSS Meetup AP stay with me Kevin or did it go back with you?  I may try it in the center of my house.  I totally forgot that it's in the Meetup box with all the switches and cables!  Otherwise, I was thinking about picking up this Netgear that is on sale at Amazon.  http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless-Router-Gigabit-R6200/dp/B008HO9DIG/

It should be in the box with the meet-up networking stuff.

pcdoc

Up until I switched to the Open Mesh, I had the EAP600 and it was a great performing unit.  Slightly less range as my new one and a higher learning curve but still one of the best units I ever used.