RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Now you guys made yourself guilty ....

Homer-S

After watching Joe_Miners videos about RaspPi unboxing and installation you made it. My wish getting one too was so high ...

Two days ago I placed an order at my pusher aehhh I mean at my favorite IT store ... and what did I found todays morning on a shelf at home????
My wife is the best in the world ...

https://www.conrad.de/de/adventskalender-conrad-raspberry-pi-2015-10181-1365864.html

I will keep you informed.
What are your plans for your plate of fruit?

• Like 1

That is a very cool advent calendar.

I use a RPi 2 as a outgoing mail server, syslog collector, secondary DNS server and the slave DHCP server. The primary DNS server and master DHCP server are a VM. It is setup so that my network is still usable even if the ESXi host is down. The mail server is there so things like iLO monitoring emails work.

• Like 1

Raspberry Pi Zero looks very useable for $5

I can see it being popular with wearables or IoT as it is much lower power than the other RPis and embedded devices that don't need much connectivity. If you do actually want to plug in USB devices like Ethernet or WiFi then it is going to involve a USB OTG adapter and possibly a USB hub. At that point, you probably should just consider the RPi 2.

One possibly interesting use for the RPi Zero is to use USB OTG interface in device mode. Pretend to be a USB storage device or network interface but do transparent encryption/decryption onto the remainder of the SD card. It'd then be like a secure vault for your data and would actually be secure unlike most of the commercial offerings.

It is a shame they didn't use the CPU + RAM out of the Pi 2 but it would have made it more expensive and bigger since the RAM isn't PoP. It would have made a nearly ideal Kodi mediaplayer if it wasn't for that. It'll run but the UI will be a bit sluggish and anything which requires software decoding won't work. The RPi 2 is far better at running Kodi.

Edited by GotNoTime

I can see it being popular with wearables or IoT as it is much lower power than the other RPis and embedded devices that don't need much connectivity. If you do actually want to plug in USB devices like Ethernet or WiFi then it is going to involve a USB OTG adapter and possibly a USB hub. At that point, you probably should just consider the RPi 2.

One possibly interesting use for the RPi Zero is to use USB OTG interface in device mode. Pretend to be a USB storage device or network interface but do transparent encryption/decryption onto the remainder of the SD card. It'd then be like a secure vault for your data and would actually be secure unlike most of the commercial offerings.

It is a shame they didn't use the CPU + RAM out of the Pi 2 but it would have made it more expensive and bigger since the RAM isn't PoP. It would have made a nearly ideal Kodi mediaplayer if it wasn't for that. It'll run but the UI will be a bit sluggish and anything which requires software decoding won't work. The RPi 2 is far better at running Kodi.

I agree, I have thought about several small embedded control projects were Raspberry Pi would be overkill and too expensive. Pi zero may be the perfect board for these.

After watching Joe_Miners videos about RaspPi unboxing and installation you made it. My wish getting one too was so high ...

Two days ago I placed an order at my pusher aehhh I mean at my favorite IT store ... and what did I found todays morning on a shelf at home????

My wife is the best in the world ...

https://www.conrad.de/de/adventskalender-conrad-raspberry-pi-2015-10181-1365864.html

I will keep you informed.

What are your plans for your plate of fruit?

Welcome aboard!   :)   First off I want to get some practice with Visual Studio 2015 Community and writing/loading Windows Apps on my Pi2 & DragonBoard 410C while also looking for projects I can do with my Grandkids (in addition to building model Rockets etc.) to show them how much fun STEM subjects can be.

Second, down the road I have some ideas for basic home automation/power management.

Raspberry Pi Zero looks very useable for $5

At $5 this is pretty interesting...  A stocking stuffer for sure...............

• 9 months later...

I use a few Rasperry Pi2's as a SSH to 4X Cisco Serial server. I can remote in and connect to up to 4 Cisco devices to the site. Works great and way cheaper than a Cisco "server".....

Brian