RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need advice for B120i settings

SpRoX

Hi guys (and girls?) :)

Which settings would you recommend for running a single SSD and a single regular disk, RAID og ACHI?

I think I remember reading somewhere that fan speed will go up if I switch to ACHI, is that true and if so, can I manually change the fan speed back down to the same level as with RAID?

Will the B120i-controller support TRIM in ACHI-mode?

Just for testing I'm now running 2x OCZ Agility 3 60 GB in RAID-0 and 2x WD Green 3 TB in separate RAID-0 with stripe sizes, caching enabled etc. as proposed by HP Smart Storage Administrator.

When I copy large files (ie. 40-80 GB .vhd's) between the two WD Green's I see massive drops in transfer speed, from avg. ~115 MB/sec down to 20 MB/sec for a couple of sec. It that due to improper settings?

A lot of questions, I know! But I hope you can help clearing them... :)

which operating system did you install on your gen8?

It's running Server 2012 R2. Which is also what I will be installing when I change the disk config.

I went ahead and reconfigured the system last night. So the controller is now in ACHI-mode with the two OCZ SSD's and a regular 2.5" 500 GB 7200 rpm disk attached.

It's running WS2012 R2 again and I have just run the "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify"-command to verify that TRIM is enable -and it is. Yay! :)

With regards to fan speed, I'm not sure I can tell a difference... :)