RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server 2012 R2 slowing entire network

ColPanic

I'm having a weird problem with windows server 2012 r2 and am hoping someone can help.  I've recently gotten google fiber and whenever the server is powered up my download speed from any machine on the network peeks at 250mbps.  Shut the server down and its over 900mbps.  Upload speed is unaffected and is over 900mbps all the time.  There is nothing obviously running on the server that would use up that kind of bandwidth.

The only role installed on the server is file sharing, there is no domain and none of the other machines point to it for dns or dhcp.  Ive tried disabling the firewall and everything else I can think of.  The server is a VM running in esxi and I currently only have one NIC connected to the VM.  Other VMs on the same box get 900+ (provided that the server is powered down) but the problem happens to any computer on the network regardless of where its located.

Any help appreciated.

I'm having a weird problem with windows server 2012 r2 and am hoping someone can help.  I've recently gotten google fiber and whenever the server is powered up my download speed from any machine on the network peeks at 250mbps.  Shut the server down and its over 900mbps.  Upload speed is unaffected and is over 900mbps all the time.  There is nothing obviously running on the server that would use up that kind of bandwidth.

The only role installed on the server is file sharing, there is no domain and none of the other machines point to it for dns or dhcp.  Ive tried disabling the firewall and everything else I can think of.  The server is a VM running in esxi and I currently only have one NIC connected to the VM.  Other VMs on the same box get 900+ (provided that the server is powered down) but the problem happens to any computer on the network regardless of where its located.

Any help appreciated.

Are you sure none of your clients or gateway is pointing to that server? Sounds like something is and that y your seeing this trouble. Open up a command prompt and type ipconfig/all and see what the network adapter is showing for the gateway, IP Address, & DNS. If something looks strange then I would manually set the DNS, Gateway & IP address on one your clients to see if the trouble clears Go into the NIC properties of one of the affected clients and under IPv4 manually set the gateway, IP address & DNS and see if the trouble clears while the server is on. If it does clear the problem then you will know whats wrong then you just have to figure out what. I would manually set the DNS on the client to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 those are Google DNS servers but only do this for testing don't leave those on the client after testing.

By the way I am very jealous of your speeds, I have FiOs 150/150 and thought that was fast :angry: I am hopping Google Fiber comes to my aria at some point. What part of the world do you live in that you got Google Fiber?

Edited by itGeeks

Thanks for the reply. DNS is what I thought too but I don't think so. No computers have its IP listed as DNS and I can even notice the effect on an iPad with 802.11ac wireless. The one router I have uses googles dns servers and I've tried entering them directly in the network settings of Mac and Windows PCs. All the same.

I think the server must be doing something to flood the network but nothing obvious shows up in the Windows resource monitor.

I live in Austin and won the ISP lotto for sure. Although Google is just now starting to connect people (a year and a half late) and it's really only available in a tiny fraction of the city so far the big effect was to kick the other ISPs in the rear. I've had ATT gigapower which is just as fast and cheap for more than 2 years while waiting on Google.

How long have you had this server? This almost sounds like the server is being used for purposes other than what you intended.

Yeah, that's possible but I wouldn't know where to begin. Ive had it running media server stuff for about a year. I think I'll nuke it and start over with another VM.

I think you've been hacked and your server is being used as a distribution point. Are you running any AV?

I have to agree with you jmwills, If none of the clients are pointing to that server for any info and the gateway is using Google for DNS and DHCP is not handing out that server for DNS then something is very wrong with that server. Did you try and open the task manager and see if there any services that are using a lot of resources? this may give you a clue as to whats going on, Short of that sometimes a wipe & reload is your best option. Since this is in a VM just shut it down don't nuke it, Make another VM install the server and see if the problem clears first this way you don't have to start over for no reason, If the problem does not clear then you know you have configuration trouble on your network.

Edited by itGeeks

I realize now I should have put this in the R2 forum.

You could still post in the R2 forum, And just post a reference link to this thread for reply's.