RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
wrouffa

System files taking excessive drive space

wrouffa

I own an HP MediaSmart WHS v1 which has 4 TB of space.  Recently I noticed that my memory was running low.  When I look at the server storage tab I see that the system files are now taking 1.5 TB of my available storage which seems excessive to me.  Is there a way to determine what files are contributing to this and how I might clean them up?

jmwills

Ther aee some powershell commands you can run to output the size of folders and subfolders.

Drashna Jaelre

resmon may be a good place to start.  procmon from sysinternals would be another place to look.

Do you mean the files on the pool?  If you meant this, then read on, otherwise check above.

If so, check D:\folders.  Chances are, this is where the issue is. 

DO NOT MESS WITH THE CONTENTS OF THIS FOLDER OR YOU WILL BREAK THINGS.

Specifically, the {0000....} folder is the client computer backup folder. This may contain a large majority of these files. They're not shares, so they're reported as "system" files, IIRC. 

Poppapete

I find an app called WinDirStat (free) is the best place to start when trying to determine what is taking up space on drives. It has always discovered my problem. I have not used it on WHS V1 but works on all windows clients and servers I have used including 2012E R2.

wrouffa

When you click on the storage tab a pie chart comes up with a breakdown of the current server storage details.  You have shared, duplication, PC backups, system and free space.  My system files now take up 36% or 1.3 TB of my overall space which is excessive.

Capture.PNG

AdrianG001

Compressing the system files  is simple: Type CMD into the search windows field, right-click on CMD and run as administrator. Once you have a command line, type in COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always and press Enter. To undo the whole deal, type in COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:never. You can also opt to compress the data on your main drive.

OR 

You can also try installing some of the apps in secondary drive 

Adrian Gates

Sr. System Admin - Apps4Rent

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• ICYDOCK_Chris
      By ICYDOCK_Chris
      ICY DOCK is the leading expert in data storage enclosures and accessories.

Introducing ToughArmor
      ToughArmor is ICY DOCK’s rugged enterprise-grade line of 2.5” SSD and HDD enclosures, utilizing the standard external 5.25” bay, external 3.5” bay (floppy bay), and the slim optical bay (ODD bay). All ToughArmor models feature ruggedized full-metal enclosures and trays, to keep your sensitive data protected, as well as meeting many flammability requirements. It features many high-density storage options, supporting as many as 16x 2.5” drives, or as few as one. Models are available to support SATA, SAS, and now, U.2 NVMe drives, giving you flexibility in choosing drives that work best for you. The strength and build quality of all of our products is backed by a full 3-year warranty against all defects. ToughArmor is used and approved by Tier 1 companies such as Hewlett Packard (HP), General Electric, NASA, as well as the US Armed Forces. For more information on our ToughArmor line, read our ToughArmor documentation here. Links to all of the products discussed here can be found in the documentation. All ToughArmor products can be view here.

ToughArmor for SATA 3.5” / 5.25” Bays
      For SATA and SAS drives installing into 3.5” and 5.25” bays, we have a large number of options available. In the 3.5” bay, there are models that support one to three drives, some with features such as key-lock trays and hardware RAID capabilities. The larger 5.25” bay supports between four and eight drives in a single bay, and up to 16 when using two bays. These denser options offer cooling fans, to keep the large number of drives cool under heavy load. These models have a wide array of uses. The MB991U3-1SB is our portable ToughArmor unit you can take anywhere, and works over USB. The MB992SKR-B is a 2-bay model with a hardware RAID chip, with modes for RAID 0, RAID 1, BIG, and JBOD.

There are also our more traditional drive carriers that install into a single 5.25” bay. While these models don’t have USB support or a RAID chip, they still have direct SATA connections, the full-metal enclosure, and the 3-year warranty.  The 4-bay (MB994SP-4S), 6-bay (MB996SP-6SB), and 8-bay (MB998SP-B) models are perfect for any general applications that require hot-swappable SATA hard drives and SSDs in a dense storage enclosure.

ToughArmor for NVME
      Recently, ICY DOCK has released the first-ever hot-swap cages for U.2 NVMe drives.  U.2 drives use the standard 2.5” size familiar from SATA SSDs, but utilize the NVMe specification allowing for transfer rates of up to 32GB/s. ICY DOCK U.2 NVMe cages come in one and four bay models, and utilize a single Mini-SAS HD connection for each drive. The single-bay model (MB601VK-B) fits in a single 3.5” bay, great for space-limited tasks that require only a single drive.  Small-form-factor systems, DVR systems, and photo/video editing systems can benefit from high-performance storage in a small space. If you need more drives, the 4-bay model (MB699VP-B) is the one for you, and even works great in RAID setups.  These are used in datacenters around the world, that need dense NVMe based storage. Both of these models use a Mini-SAS HD port / cable for each drive, so make sure to prepare your system with enough Mini-SAS HD ports.

ToughArmor for Optical Drive Bays
      ICY DOCK also has several drive cages that fit into slim (12.7mm) and ultra-slim (9.5mm) optical drive bays. These can serve to replace existing drive readers in laptops and desktop systems, and can also be paired with several of our 5.25” bay brackets. Perfect for space-critical applications that require drives to be installed in the smallest possible space. Common uses are in Small-Form-Factor PCs, media PCs, Home Theater PCs (HTPC), and security footage systems. In industrial uses, these are often found in 1U and 2U rack-mounted systems with limited space availability, and portable workstations/laptops.

If you have any questions about the models mentioned here, or anything else, send us an email at tech@icydock.com. We offer first-class customer support for all our products, from pre-purchasing info, product selection help, walking you through installation, and issue troubleshooting. In addition to email, we offer phone and live web-chat customer support, which can be found here.  Our knowledgeable support technicians are available Monday-Friday from 10:00am-5:00pm PST.

• fileth
      By fileth
      I want to connect the hard drive to the sata controller but when i want to install the system i can not see it
      msata hdd with adapter to sata
      is it supported?
    • EON1488993291
      By EON1488993291
      Hello!

I have a Surface RT (32 GB) and it only has 1.69 GB of space left on the HD. The thing is that I have almost nothing on it (just a few apps that I check and do NOT take a lot of space, and small files), so I don't know what is taking so much space. Does anyone knows where is all that memory going? I have not being able to find it (I have checked the size of the apps, delete the trash can, delete the internet history/cookies)...

Also, I want to upgrade to Windows 8.1. These are the two ways that I have think of doing it, but I will like your opinion on which option is better (or if there is a better way):

Plan 1: take the tablet to its original status (in PC settings > General > Remove everything and reinstall Windows), move the recovery files to a thumb drive (http://www.surfacegeeks.net/forums/index.php?/topic/192-surface-rt-how-to-free-up-4-gigabytes-of-storage-space-on-your-rt/), and do all updates to take it to Windows 8.1

Plan 2: free some space by moving the recovery files to a thumb drive, make the upgrade to Windows 8.1, run a cleanup disk and defragment the drive

Making a backup of the files in the tablet is easy b/c there is not much in it, but my main concerns for the process are: I am going to loose microsoft office? is it going to ask me for any key/license number (if I ever had one, I don't know where it is)? anything else that I am missing?

Thanks!

EON
    • tomster2413
      By tomster2413
      Hey guys,

I just bought a USB disc drive for my Surface 2, and upon plugging it in everything is working. I bought it so I could import songs from old CDs and put them onto my tablet. The only problem is, I don't know how to do this. I am able to click on the CD inserted into the drive, and all the songs show up but they are in .cda format. Basically, do any of you guys know how I would be able to get the songs off of the CD? I tried looking in Xbox Music, but there is not an option to import a CD at all.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!