RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

System files taking excessive drive space

wrouffa

I own an HP MediaSmart WHS v1 which has 4 TB of space.  Recently I noticed that my memory was running low.  When I look at the server storage tab I see that the system files are now taking 1.5 TB of my available storage which seems excessive to me.  Is there a way to determine what files are contributing to this and how I might clean them up?

resmon may be a good place to start.  procmon from sysinternals would be another place to look.

Do you mean the files on the pool?  If you meant this, then read on, otherwise check above.

If so, check D:\folders.  Chances are, this is where the issue is. 

DO NOT MESS WITH THE CONTENTS OF THIS FOLDER OR YOU WILL BREAK THINGS.

Specifically, the {0000....} folder is the client computer backup folder. This may contain a large majority of these files. They're not shares, so they're reported as "system" files, IIRC. 

I find an app called WinDirStat (free) is the best place to start when trying to determine what is taking up space on drives. It has always discovered my problem. I have not used it on WHS V1 but works on all windows clients and servers I have used including 2012E R2.

When you click on the storage tab a pie chart comes up with a breakdown of the current server storage details.  You have shared, duplication, PC backups, system and free space.  My system files now take up 36% or 1.3 TB of my overall space which is excessive.

Capture.PNG

• 2 years later...

Compressing the system files  is simple: Type CMD into the search windows field, right-click on CMD and run as administrator. Once you have a command line, type in COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always and press Enter. To undo the whole deal, type in COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:never. You can also opt to compress the data on your main drive.

OR 

You can also try installing some of the apps in secondary drive 

Adrian Gates

Sr. System Admin - Apps4Rent