RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

VMware ESXI and HP RAID

Haxsource

Hi mates.

I just done a Raid 0 from HP smart array controller with my 3 HDD. But when I booted to vmware esxi it just sees devices not the RAID logical device that I made.

I dont have too much experience with VMware esxi althought I did a lot of work beforew with all kind of virtualization tolos like VMWare player, Workstation, KVM, virtualbox, hyper-V.

So Im wondering...Is it possible to make VMWARE ESXI to read the RAID that I did with HP Smart array??? Or should I just set BIOS with AHCI instead of RAID and make a data store with VMWARE ESXI instead???

Any thoughts tips, tricks or mini how to of the way you did it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You need to use the HP customised ESXi image to get all the necessary drivers for the Microserver. You'll want to download the hpvsa driver to 5.5.0-OEM88 however or performance will be terrible. There is some kind of incompatibility between the Gen8 Microserver AHCI controller and ESXi so you should only use the controller in B120i mode.

Sounds good thank you for the INFO didnt know about this. Downloading right now vmware esxi 6.0 custom HP iso update 1. Can I use my old vmware esxi 6.0 license for this image too?? I guess I can, as soon I install it will fidle around to find where I can downgrade the HPVSA controller.

Thanks @gotnotime!!  :)