RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Remote Access to two Servers

pcdoc

What access are we talking here? The webpage access xxxx.homeserver.com? Because, just using RDP to both servers is easy. I will try the web access tonight when I install the new beta.

The access I was looking for so I could test different things was to be able to come through a different .com and different ports and have a second set of port forward settings to match. Could use that feature anyway since I have two production servers.

• 2 months later...

The problem with just wanting to use different ports for each server (WHSv1 and VAIL) is that it seems that microsoft has gone and hard coded some of the links and redirects in the Remote Access Website so that it relies on port 80 / 443. Even changing the listening port in IIS still results in the browser being redirected back to port 80 or 443. The only way around this is to have a second external IP Address, and a router that would be capable of forwarding all traffic from one IP to one server and all traffic from the other IP to the other server. As a IT Consultant I've had success in doing this with a Fortigate appliance, but for a home user that device would be overkill (It's also about $600 and I don't think available from regular retail channels). If there was a Cisco or DLink unit that would be capable of supporting this feature that would be your best bet.

Hope this helps shed some light on the problem,

Glavian

If you're brave, you could just put one of the servers outside of the firewall and then put a switch between that and the wall, and plug the router into the same switch.

That said, the easiest way would be to set up remote access on WHS1 and use WLE Mesh on Vail or remote access on Vail, and Live Mesh on WHS1

If you're brave, you could just put one of the servers outside of the firewall and then put a switch between that and the wall, and plug the router into the same switch.

That would still require 2 IP addresses from your broadband provider.

If all you want is remote access, setup the second box to be used with a service like LogMeIn. There are paid versions with more features like drive mapping, etc but for pure remote access, LogMeIn will work for this exercise.