RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cskenney

Drive Bender - End of an Era

awraynor

That's terrible to hear. Although I use DrivePool and am very happy with it, I am saddened that such a devoted 

developer is unable to continue full-time work on his product. 

• Like 1

oj88

It's always hard to see a good company close shop. I've been a customer for 4 years and I'd probably will still be for as long as my DB installation will support the next Windows Server iteration.

awraynor

I was a little confused by the post. Even though he won't be there full-time, will the product still be updated?

Dave

It sounds like major bug fixes will continue but I would be concerned as a customer if any major OS updates caused issues.  Looks like they have addressed Windows 10 so hopefully that will allow the product to work for years to come.  If there are any big OS or file system changes in the future I would be wary.

Yes, this is sad. Remember when every week we reported on Drive Bender updates?  It's hard to pull the trigger and close up shop.  I commend him for doing so and hopefull the timing is right financially.  I hope it was a profitable venture for him.  I know it was fun to ride along with him.  I'm still a license holder!

• Like 1

Sorta Oldguy

FWIW, I run WHS2011 in a VM under Windows server 2012. The Windows server has 10TB of drives that I organized into various drives using Storage Spaces to create a redundant array. Sorry I don't remember all the terminology since it has been so long since I had to do anything to it. I assigned a few TB of those drives to WHS. Has been running without a hiccup for 4 years. Even when I fiddled around inside the case and dislodged a drive cable, the redundancy protected all the data. 

The Lord will probably punish me now for bragging :mellow:

revengineer

Good news is that Anthony has found a way to keep Drivebender alive. It will be a side project and development will be slow if any. The software is in good shape so it hopefully won't take much for it to live on. I guess it's the problem with software for a niche market that is not willing to fork out a lot of $. In any case, 2-PC licenses are now $5 donation. The donations will help to keep the lights on. If you have $ to spare head on over to the Drivebender site and support him.

• Like 1