RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HSS #292

itGeeks

Dave on the topic of Plex, If your serios about having your DVD's and Blu-Rays online then based on what you said about having all these different files for one DVD it would be best to re-rip all those disk using MakeMKV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF7DKnY6fm4 store the movies on Synology and put the Plex Media Server on a more powerful box, The Core i5 is the sweet spot for Plex Media Server and finally enjoy rip once play everywhere. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by itGeeks

OMG how rude of me, There was things I wanted to say at the top of my first post but did not because I am impulse posting so I will now try get get it all right.

pcdoc, It was great seeing you on the show and I am thrilled that your back in the saddle and joining the HSS. I personally miss your BYOB podcast but I think this adds value to the HSS. I would also like to thank you for the credit you gave me for Open-Mesh, I am even more grateful that you got the iOS problem solved, I was feeling really bad there for awhile because you purchased Open-Mesh based on my recommendation but I had no idea about the iOS problems because I don't own any iOS devices but I new the grate people at Open-Mesh would sort you out because they care about there product and customer satisfaction. I do believe that Dave should hit Open-Mesh up for a sponsorship for meetup 2016 because of the FREE press and the sales they got from my post here on the HSS. For the record I don't work for Open-Mesh nor do I make any profit from there product, I am just a very happy customer of theirs.

Dave that circle device looks very interesting and if it works as advertised it could be a great product for kid safety for someone that does not run something like Sophos XG Firewall, If you did not know you can do the same thing with the new Sophos XG Firewall by setting up users and binding the MAC address of the kids devices they use, I have not tried this myself but I know you can do it. I would also like to find out about the scheduled tasks in Synology and how you did the copy/delete, I had just sent a feature request to Synology asking them to add support for this to Synology Cloud Sync. I have my daughters Synology downloading her photos from OneDrive and I would like to have the option of deleting all the files from the source aka OneDrive after the copy to Synology is done, They already have an option to delete the source files if the user deletes the files on the destination so I don't think this should be a problem for them to add but in the mean time I would like to add this per your solution if possible.

Edited by itGeeks

Update on my Wifi:

I unplugged all the Ubiquity as I stated on the show.  I have the TP-Link $36 2.4Ghz AP in place in a centralized area.  It works well for about 70% of the house.  This weekend I would have to reboot the TP-Link every morning due to all devices losing Wifi.  This was while Circle was enabled and turned on.  I also felt that my Nexus 6P was having issues on the Ubi system.  WIth all these variables in play I have pulled Circle offline in order to see if the TP-Link will stay online for more than 24 hours straight.  It had one hiccup today but otherwise has been ok.  To make matters worse I need wifi in a certain location for a meeting tomorrow so I have had to put one of the Ubi AP's back in service.  When my meeting is done I will pull it out so I can get a true feel for the TP-Link and the Circle product.

Initial thoughts on Circle are very good.  I'll have a full review for you soon as I am keeping notes.  One quick tidbit about it.  I was looking for hotels in Vegas for CES and got filtered once.  I had to turn on the gambling filter in order to get the hotel booked!

I feel assured that eero will ship prior to Feb 2016 as per their last communication with pre order customers like myself.  I am going to keep that order alive as I think I still need as system like it and the price is good.  If it bombs it will go back and I'll jump into Open-Mesh.  I hope by then you guys will have it all sorted out!  

Shoot me questions if you got em!

Update on my Wifi:

I unplugged all the Ubiquity as I stated on the show.  I have the TP-Link $36 2.4Ghz AP in place in a centralized area.  It works well for about 70% of the house.  This weekend I would have to reboot the TP-Link every morning due to all devices losing Wifi.  This was while Circle was enabled and turned on.  I also felt that my Nexus 6P was having issues on the Ubi system.  WIth all these variables in play I have pulled Circle offline in order to see if the TP-Link will stay online for more than 24 hours straight.  It had one hiccup today but otherwise has been ok.  To make matters worse I need wifi in a certain location for a meeting tomorrow so I have had to put one of the Ubi AP's back in service.  When my meeting is done I will pull it out so I can get a true feel for the TP-Link and the Circle product.

Initial thoughts on Circle are very good.  I'll have a full review for you soon as I am keeping notes.  One quick tidbit about it.  I was looking for hotels in Vegas for CES and got filtered once.  I had to turn on the gambling filter in order to get the hotel booked!

I feel assured that eero will ship prior to Feb 2016 as per their last communication with pre order customers like myself.  I am going to keep that order alive as I think I still need as system like it and the price is good.  If it bombs it will go back and I'll jump into Open-Mesh.  I hope by then you guys will have it all sorted out!  

Shoot me questions if you got em!

The wonderful world of tech, Great when it works and god help us when it doesn't. The waiting for eero has got to be trying on you, I almost oppted in on the pre-order but thankfully I was to late. If eero works as advertised I may pick one up for my Daughter to get rid of the ugly looking Asus with four ant sticking up, That unit sits front and center in the living room so it would be nice to change that out with something Apple looking. As for Open-Mesh no need to wait as all the problems from my understanding have been worked out. pcdoc reports his iOS devices have been rock solid after the update, I have also had no problems with Android devices.

Quick update.  The TP-Link AP was running fine for over 24 hours so I started to think maybe it was Circle that was causing it.  It crapped out on me today out of nowhere so I'm pretty sure I've got a bad device.  Laptops, phones, everything drops off and has trouble connecting unless you hard reset it. POS! I think I'll put Ubuquity back online and see if the Nexus 6 will talk with it again.  Would not be in this spot if the eero was shipping but have yet to cancel.  I can wait for February.  

I did get to put Circle back into action since I proved it was not causing issues.  Speed tests are very similiar with it online or off.  I did make one mistake though.  Learn from me fellas.  I forgot it has a battery inside of it!  I unplugged it and brought it into the kitchen where the speedtest laptop is.  Needless to say the tests slowed down.  I think Circle was still picking up and working even though I pulled Ethernet and power off of it.  It had several walls to get through and had to build routes back up so a couple of tests were slow.  Cool little box.

Another great show. For anyone interested in how easy it is to install and setup Open-Mesh take a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF7DKnY6fm4

Seems pretty sweet. 

My house is just under 3,000 sq ft, 2 floors. At present my modem/router is to the end of the 2nd level in the office with all of my desktops.

Our family room is on the bottom floor at the other end of the house and wireless can be problematic.  I tried powerline adapters and a wireless extender, the results were poor.

If I looked at these products I would?

1. Use one extender midway the house on the bottom floor

2. Turn off wireless on my router and use a gateway with an extender? 

I also thought about MoCA adapters, but you and PCDoc seem to be pretty impressed with this.

Seems pretty sweet. 

My house is just under 3,000 sq ft, 2 floors. At present my modem/router is to the end of the 2nd level in the office with all of my desktops.

Our family room is on the bottom floor at the other end of the house and wireless can be problematic.  I tried powerline adapters and a wireless extender, the results were poor.

If I looked at these products I would?

1. Use one extender midway the house on the bottom floor

2. Turn off wireless on my router and use a gateway with an extender? 

I also thought about MoCA adapters, but you and PCDoc seem to be pretty impressed with this.

Look at post #16 where I talk about the size of my house & propertie http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9901-open-mesh-has-released-there-new-mr1750-dual-band-80211ac-access-point/

Just to be clear this would not be an extender of your existing wireless so yes turn off all other wireless that you have. These unites depending how you set the system up are either all wireless gateways or a mix of wireless gateway/repeaters (creating a mesh network). I only have one MR1750 so its the gateway meaning that unit is plugged into my LAN, At least one of these MR1750 needs to be plugged into your LAN all others are an option however best performance is achieved by directly plugging them into your LAN.

For anyone interested all the talk about Open-Mesh can be found here http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9901-open-mesh-has-released-there-new-mr1750-dual-band-80211ac-access-point/

And here http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10220-open-mesh-is-at-it-again-they-have-updated-cloudtrax-with-some-nice-new-features/

Edited by itGeeks