RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

i7-4765T Compatability

donaldd

Hi everyone first I would just like to say hello to everyone have found this site to be a wealth of information.

Thinking of upgrading the cpu, although I have a xeon 1225 V1 and 1230 V1 they will run to hot with the passive fan, I also have a i7-4765T with a TDP of 35W, could anyone tell me if that would work.

Lastly has anyone tried to replace the passive with a low profile fan.

Thanks in advance.

Donald

Thinking of upgrading the cpu, although I have a xeon 1225 V1 and 1230 V1 they will run to hot with the passive fan

The heatsink is only rated for 35W but people have run hot CPUs like the E3-1230 with it. You'll need to increase the chassis fan speed by changing the cooling profile in the Microserver BIOS. You're still exceeding the rated capacity of the heatsink though so it is up to you whether this is an acceptable solution or not.

I also have a i7-4765T with a TDP of 35W, could anyone tell me if that would work.

Not compatible. Socket type isn't the same.

Lastly has anyone tried to replace the passive with a low profile fan.

Several people have but be aware the mounting holes aren't standard. Some people have managed to mod standard PC heatsinks to fit by grinding at the mounting lugs and only using a single diagonal pair.

HP do have a new 55W heatsink for the Gen8 Microserver that is significantly bigger and has a heatpipe. Nobody has been able to buy one yet though since it is a recent addition and none of the spare part stockists have it.