RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

E3-1240 CPU Compatibility?

hyper7er

Hi All.

New to the forum as I have a quick question that someone may be able to answer for me.

I cannot source the V2 or L version of an E3-12** processor easily (as everyone knows they can be a bit sharp priced!)

but i can source the regular E3-1240.

From my last notes, I thought it should work - but i might have skiped over something or been half asleep when i checked the specs :D .

Any thoughts ?

Cheers.

It is compatible but the stock heatsink is only rated for 35W. There is a new uprated 55W heatsink that HP are supplying with the new i3 version of the Gen8 Microserver but it is still impossible to actually purchase by itself. Your Xeon has a TDP of 80W so it would still exceed the capacity of the 55W heatsink. Quite a few people are happily running a 80W TDP CPU in their Microserver with the stock heatsink but it is up to you whether you want to accept that risk.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh OK. Thankyou :). I'm surprised, but very glad the non v2 also work.

Between that and an E3-1220V2 which would be your preference?

do you have any advise on an active cooler that just fits and performs well (I'm considering wiring it for full blast if I do swap cpu.. hehe.)

I'm just taking caution at the moment as my replacement mobo is just back from HP after my NIC's failed completely in old one.

Thanks.

I've got the 1260L in my server and its warm but I wouldnt say overly so, I'm trying to track down somewhere I can get the new SKU heatsink thats appeared on the HP parts list, rated for higher W CPU's without havcing to go down the actively cooler route..

I've got the 1240v2 with the noctua nh-9i and i have no cooling issues.

Hello,

how did you mount the cooler? Is it easy or does it need spcial mounting? I mean does it fit? It would be nice if you could post some pics!

Thanks

George

• 2 years later...

Sorry for asking in an old thread, but i have the same problem, can i underclock/undervolt the cpu? 

Because i have the choice between E3-1240 and the G1610T.