RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server 2012 R2 Essentials role Crashing issue

CraigR

My Server 2012 R2 with Essentials role has a Crashing issue. I am new to 2012 R2 moving from Home Server. I have only 3 users  and it's major function is a file server and running Plex Meda Server software. It runs for about 3 days or so then crashes and reboots. What information do I need to post to get some help figuring this out? Thanks in advance!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• jmwills

• schoondoggy

• CraigR

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How is it crashing?

BSODing? If so, try running WhoCrashed or BlueScreenView on the server, and see what it reports as the issue.

Also, any time you're experiencing crashing issues, running a memory test is always a good idea. After that, run "chkdsk c: /r" and "sfc /scannow", as these will identify disk and file issues that can contribute to system instability. 

I never really see it crash so not sure if it's BSOD or not but I looked in the events and the error 41 Kernal Power error. This is why I installed a new Corsair 1,000 watt pcu instead of the 475watt that came with and still getting the same error. I did do a chkdsk and sfc before posting and it found nothing. Is Whocrashed a third party program?

Sorry, yes, it's a 3rd party app. And from the output, it looks like a memory and/or disk error.

If it continues, try unplugging all the disks but the system disk and see if it continues. If it does, it may be that the system disk is defective. I've seen similar behavior with SSDs that were bad (OCZ... every last one I've owned), and replacing them fixed the issue.  Giving the number of file system and NTFS related errors you're seeing, it's a good chance that this is what the issue is.

CHKDSK is a built in utility. Otherwise, the manufacturer tools for the drive. 
WD Data Lifeguard tools, Seagate's SeaTools, etc.

Aside from that, anything that reads SMART data may be a good idea. 

If you want a biased (read my signature) opinion, StableBit Scanner. It checks SMART data, does a sector by sector scan, and runs a file system scan (chkdsk pass).

I let MemTest86 Pro run for 16 hours and no memory errors so I would think something would have shown in that time. Goint to install the other program and test OS drive now.

ll.jpg