RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

sophos utm v9 ipv6 -vs- smartswitch

nrf

So I had ipv6 set up and working fine with Sophos. In the course of troubleshooting a problem (different forum) I swapped out my 'dumb' 16-port switch for a pair of 'smart' 8-port switches. Afterward, ipv6 internet connectivity was not available to my two win7 clients, my win8 client, or my 2012r2 server. After futzing around with sophos and having resolved the other issue, I put the 'dumb' switch back in place. This allowed me to get ipv6 internet connectivity back. So my question is:

what features or settings of a 'smart switch' can interfere with the ipv6 "prefix advertisement" process?

tia...nrf

So I had ipv6 set up and working fine with Sophos. In the course of troubleshooting a problem (different forum) I swapped out my 'dumb' 16-port switch for a pair of 'smart' 8-port switches. Afterward, ipv6 internet connectivity was not available to my two win7 clients, my win8 client, or my 2012r2 server. After futzing around with sophos and having resolved the other issue, I put the 'dumb' switch back in place. This allowed me to get ipv6 internet connectivity back. So my question is:

what features or settings of a 'smart switch' can interfere with the ipv6 "prefix advertisement" process?

tia...nrf

My Netgear 24 port smart switch has a IPv6 configuration page where you setup IPv6 however I don't do anything with it, No need for it on a internal network. Just my thoughts. What kind of switch is it? Y do you want IPv6 on your internal network??

yes of course I do. the switch is netgear gs108T-V2. courtesy of the lifetime warranty I got two of these when the V1 switches went deaf.

I find nothing ipv6 related in the settings. I did have to turn on igp snooping and multicast so my HDHR tuners would be usable :(

yes of course I do. the switch is netgear gs108T-V2. courtesy of the lifetime warranty I got two of these when the V1 switches went deaf.

I find nothing ipv6 related in the settings. I did have to turn on igp snooping and multicast so my HDHR tuners would be usable :(

Well as luck would have it, I just purchased that same switch two weeks ago to replace a D-Link un-managed switch and I do have the IPv6 settings :) What firmware is on your switch? Should be 5.4.2.19 http://support.netgear.com/product/GS108Tv2

Edited by itGeeks

clearly the admin guide is out of date in this respect.

there is an ipv6 address assigned for admin purposes, and I don't use ACLs, 

I see nothing that would prevent prefix advertisement.

clearly the admin guide is out of date in this respect.

there is an ipv6 address assigned for admin purposes, and I don't use ACLs, 

I see nothing that would prevent prefix advertisement.

Did you not check the admin page of the unit itself for this setting? Is your firmware up to date? I have the setting.

playing more, I have tried

* no admin mode for ipv6

* admin mode via dhcpv6

* admin mode via auto-config

no joy

playing more, I have tried

* no admin mode for ipv6

* admin mode via dhcpv6

* admin mode via auto-config

no joy

I have that switch along with a couple other Netgear switches of the same vintage (a GS110TP and a GS716T iirc).  The GS110TP actually uses the same firmware.  Anyways, I have IPv6 running on my network from my pfSense box and everything works fine.  I didn't do anything special (on the switches) for IPv6, all I've ever really done to configure the switches has been mapping specific ports to VLANs.

If you really can just switch between the smart switches and the unmanaged switch and IPv6 comes and goes, I'm really stumped.  What happens if the smart switches are on the network but not in the connection path for the computer you're using (just hanging off the unmanaged switch).  Have to tried resetting to factory defaults, they should very much act like an unmanaged switch in that state, maybe something is floating around from a previous configuration.

when I plug into the smartswitch, ipv6 goes down for the pc, and comes back on the dumb one. I will try the factory trick. thanks.