RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

B120i Controller SSD in windows issue

GoNz0

Hi, I have a Kingston v300 as my boot drive connected as a Raid0 drive on the B120i, it works fine but the issue is windows does not see this as a SSD so refuses to trim the drive and also wants to defrag it.

I have the latest drivers so I am a little lost how to work round this. AHCI mode isn't an option until HP sort out the temp detection to allow it to run the fan at 6% to keep the noise down.

Does anyone know how to get this working right?

OS is windows 2012 R2

Thanks.

*edit, just noticed the fans ramping down below 10% in AHCI so I will have another look!

Edited by GoNz0

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have the identical setup and I'm having the same issue. When I look in Device Manager all my disks appear as "HP Logical Volume SCSI Disk Device". 

Is that the correct driver for the Disk Drives? 

Fan currently sitting at 70% and reports no LOM! 

Anyone?

Edited by lylej

I don't recall if this is supported on the B120i, but you may want to check out SSD Smart Path http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-8144ENW.pdf

Thanks Schoondoggy, seems the latest firmware for the B120i doesn't support SSD Smart Path and neither does its predecessor. 

Or rather the SSA CLI reports that the driver name is "HpSA2.sys" while the documentation says that the correct driver is "hpCISS3S.sys". 

The B120i is definitely very particular about the drives it supports. I initially had a cheap 60GB OCZ SSD while I was playing around with the Gen8, and fan speeds were really high. Once I got rid of that drive and went with what I have now (3 x WD Red and 1 x Samsung 830 SSD), fan speed dropped to 6% (this is all with RAID mode). All my tests with AHCI ended up with higher fan speeds, and the queue depth in AHCI mode is abysmal, so I stuck with RAID mode.

Hi, I have the identical setup and I'm having the same issue. When I look in Device Manager all my disks appear as "HP Logical Volume SCSI Disk Device". 

Is that the correct driver for the Disk Drives? 

Fan currently sitting at 70% and reports no LOM! 

Anyone?

one of your drives has no internal temp sensor so the controller adds a default temp, afraid that is high so the ran runs like a hairdryer. You will have no choice other than replacing with a drive/ssd that has a sensor if you want the speed to drop.

If it is your SSD then the Kingston v300 works ok in mine reporting around 25 degrees and 6% fan along with my 3 WD Red's

Edited by GoNz0

The B120i is definitely very particular about the drives it supports. I initially had a cheap 60GB OCZ SSD while I was playing around with the Gen8, and fan speeds were really high. Once I got rid of that drive and went with what I have now (3 x WD Red and 1 x Samsung 830 SSD), fan speed dropped to 6% (this is all with RAID mode). All my tests with AHCI ended up with higher fan speeds, and the queue depth in AHCI mode is abysmal, so I stuck with RAID mode.

Thanks Rotor. The SSD Disks are Kingston V300 and they report the temps fine to SSA and iLO.

one of your drives has no internal temp sensor so the controller adds a default temp, afraid that is high so the ran runs like a hairdryer. You will have no choice other than replacing with a drive/ssd that has a sensor if you want the speed to drop.

If it is your SSD then the Kingston v300 works ok in mine reporting around 25 degrees and 6% fan along with my 3 WD Red's

My seagate disks connected to my P222 I think MAY be the cause of the crazy fan. 2 of them do not currently report temp's. I'm not sure if a firmware upgrade would address that but I mean it's ridiculous that one has no control over what types of values to safely ignore in temp sensing since not all devices are made equal. 

So even if I did go with AHCI I would still have this issue since the false reading is coming about as a result of the disks connected to the P222.

Is there any way I can define a standard value for an array or a LUN that can be reported to iLO? Perhaps through SSA CLI?

Or should I log a call with HP?

My seagate disks connected to my P222 I think MAY be the cause of the crazy fan. 2 of them do not currently report temp's. I'm not sure if a firmware upgrade would address that but I mean it's ridiculous that one has no control over what types of values to safely ignore in temp sensing since not all devices are made equal. 

This is a server product, with a finite list of "supported" devices. If it's on the supported list, you're all good. If not, you're on your own. Logging a call with HP will go something like this:

- HP: Is the drive on the list of supported devices?

- You: No

- HP: OK then

After I discovered the OCZ SSD was causing the high fan speeds, I made sure I tested all the other drive models I intended use (I was never intending to use the OCZ long term anyway), as I would've sent the Gen8 back if e.g. the Reds caused the same problem (can't have that much fan noise). Happily I am running at 6%, blissfully silent (1000x quieter than my previous N36L and N54L G7s). So just take it down to trial and error, and then you can decide whether you can live a) with the fan noise or B) without the particular drive that causes it.

I would say it is very safe to assume that at this late stage HP won't be releasing any significant firmware updates in this area. The only thing outstanding (that I am aware of) is that poor performance from the recent ESXi HP disk drivers (build 88 is the most recent release with good performance, which I've been running for a couple of months without a hiccough).

Edited by rotor

This is a server product, with a finite list of "supported" devices. If it's on the supported list, you're all good. If not, you're on your own. Logging a call with HP will go something like this:

- HP: Is the drive on the list of supported devices?

- You: No

- HP: OK then

After I discovered the OCZ SSD was causing the high fan speeds, I made sure I tested all the other drive models I intended use (I was never intending to use the OCZ long term anyway), as I would've sent the Gen8 back if e.g. the Reds caused the same problem (can't have that much fan noise). Happily I am running at 6%, blissfully silent (1000x quieter than my previous N36L and N54L G7s). So just take it down to trial and error, and then you can decide whether you can live a) with the fan noise or B) without the particular drive that causes it.

Dude, no one sane could live with that noise. So now I have 2 x 3tb disks I can pretty much kiss goodbye never-mind the painful task of having to rebuild the array 2 times since I would surely only be able to remove one disk at a time else suffer an entire array failure. 

Well, I wonder if I eliminate the card + disks how it would behave. I'm not at risk of losing my array, right?

The array (RAID 0 or 1), should come across from the P222 to the B120i. I would have backups of everything just in case, though, as in a blink of an eye it could all be gone. Assuming you have those 2 x 3TB in a RAID 1, what I would is pull one of the disks, reformat it (e.g. with an external USB 3 case), then put it back in (creating a new RAID 0 array with it) and use it to backup the now degraded array. Now you have a completely stand-alone backup as your safeguard.

Alternately:

Shut down the server

Pull disk #2 and set it aside

Recable the disks back to the B120i

Power on

If success, then happy face

If not success, then:

Shut down

Recable the disks back to the P222

Remove disk #1 and set it aside

Insert disk #2 in the same slot it used to be in (slot #2?)

Power on

You should be able to recover the array