RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Pulled Empty Disk and can't boot from SSD

johnnyfinlandia

Bought a new Gen8 and have to say its a great little machine :)

The 4 slots (left to right) have:

1 2TB Red

2 SSD (Sata Port 2)

3 -

4 -

I installed Windows 8.1 and then upgraded to 10 for free.

Seems to be working fine.

I wanted to pull the 3.5 Red drive as I have nothing on this and want it in my Synology (I installed the OS on the SSD).

When I pull it the machine it says - Media Test Failure - Cannot boot from Drive C:

I moved the SSD to the first slot and also added another empty drive to the 1st drive with no luck.

Any help appreciated.

Change the boot order in the BIOS to see the new position of the SSD drive.  It should be easily recognizable form the size.

I checked but that didn't seem to work as it only said Drive C:

I put the drive back and looked on e Partition manager and it shows empty but there is a System reserved partition on the drive of 100MB

Will Windows 10 have put that on or will it be something to do with a RAID setup which I don't want

so I have:

Hard Disk 0 - 100MB NTFS partition (23.9MB used) & 1862.9 GB unallocated 

Hard Disk 1 -  223.1GB NTFS (the SSD drive)

.. update

I checked in Device Manager it says System Reserved / whereas in the SSD it doesn't so does that mean I have put Windows 10 on the Hard drive rather than the SSD

Edited by johnnyfinlandia

The Windows is installed on the SSD with the boot partition made on the HDD. It actually happens quite often. :|

I've never seen that happen.  Looks like you need to reinstall Windows on the SSD and only present the SSD to the server during installation.

After some trial and error I found out that it happens while installing Windows on a SSD and having a HDD without any partitions created. I don't remember about Windows XP, but I noticed it on every OS since (even Win Server).