RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Wireless AP question.

psykix

Sooo...

I have a D-link DIR-890/l wireless router. It's pretty much top of the range AC3200 etc etc.. It never covered the whole house though because where the WAN connection is means that the router is to one side of a 4 bed detached house.

Therefore, I have the BT Homehub 5 wired in at the opposite side and just used to serve wifi from that side.

I wanted to ditch the routers, and run Sophos XG and a wireless access point.

So, Sophos is up and running and the 2 routers are still being used for the wifi.

I was going to put a single new wireless AP on the hall ceiling which would be in the centre of the house and would cover the entire house.

I've been thinking though..

If I were to use the D-link in AP mode I could put it in a cupboard under the stairs and it would probably still cover the entire house.

Is there anything else to be gained by using a proper wireless AP instead? (like a Ubiquiti or Open-Mesh) especially in regards to running it with Sophos?

It would save me selling the D-link to fund a new AP, and running the cabling to the cupboard will be much easier than getting cabling to the ceiling!

Long post to get a short point across, sorry!!

Ah well, cancel that question. It seems that although the router in the cupboard does cover the whole house, the daughter's room is right on the edge of coverage with one bar.

So.. back to the AP on the hall ceiling plan!!

Nothing to be gained in my opinion.  Your strategy is a good example of how to re-purpose old hardware.  I currently use two old routers in addition to my Asus RT66NU to coverage the entire house front to back over three stories.  Just take the old router and disable DHCP, give them a Fixed IP Address within the current schema of the device issuing addresses and most important, put the new AP on different channels than the primary router.  I use 1-6-11.

• Like 1

Well my current setup works, (2 routers, both as wireless APs in opposite ends of the house) but it's not so elegant.

Guess I'll stay as I am until a good reason to change comes along..

The benefits are mainly centralised management + monitoring, bandsteering and possibly higher end features like multiple SSIDs that go to various VLANs. Consumer APs may not support that. If you don't care about any of that then just a regular SOHO AP like the one you've got is enough. Of course, sometimes the reason is just "because I wanted to have a play" :P

Edited by GotNoTime

As GotNoTime said, unless you are looking for enterprise level features, there is no point changing to an enterprise style system, especially given the price and the equipment you already have. I do not know about the specific WAP you have, but it may pay to find out if the WAP wants a specific orientation. This is especially true with WAP's with internal antennas, I have Cisco ones here that certainly perform better on the roof, than on the wall for instance.

As long as you are getting the coverage you need then it is a good solution. I am curious about using Sophos WAP's with a Sophos firewall. They manage their WAP's through the firewall. Their WAP are a bit pricey, but I may play with one of their older WAP's from ebay just to see if there is a benefit.

Yeah, Sophos AP55 seems to be a decent pick to go with. However their pricing is a bit on the wild side!! I love playing with kit, just as Gotnotime said! However, next on my list of toys to play with were a couple of IP security cameras, so if I stick with what I have then I can justify that expenditure a bit sooner!