RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jmwills

WD Green 2 TB Drives $91.79 Free Shipping @ Amazon

greenawayj

This is getting a little crazy or is a 3TB drive right around the corner???

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/219834?r=1

Hey jmwills -- Are these the drives we shouldn't use in WHS due to issues with the formatting? (I think maybe it's just a jumper required?) Also, I thought I read somewhere that there might be issues with these drives parking way too frequently so that the lifetime start/stop cycles start building up quickly...

Can anyone comment. I just noticed over the weekend that I'm down to about 500GB free in my 2.3 TB system...

jmwills

I'm using the drives with no issues. What formatting issues could there be? The system is going to format the drives once you add it to the pool.

c0op3r

He is talking about the 4K sector format, the drives native format, is the newer 4k sectors versus the old 512kb sectors, and yes the drive needs to be formatted using the included WD/Acronis utility or the jumper installed. I have 3 of the drives in my machine with no issues, but I do have the jumper installed.

If you do not reformat using the utility or the jumper performance will take a major hit.

There was a thread on here before about this by PCDoc, and it states this information right on the drive with a good sized warning Sticker

Also a note that 'Vail' does support the 4k Sector Drive(s) w/o the jumper

jmwills

I had presumed the jumpers were in place. Definitely something to be attentive of.

greenawayj

Thanks guys. This really is a great price and I need to add another 2TB (why not make it 4)!! I'm definitely not afraid of a jumper.

SOLD OUT -- oh well. I'll wait for the next deal.

Edited by greenawayj