RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

MicroServer isn't detecting p222

ChronoSphere

So I got my new microserver and I purchased a used p222 controller, cache, and capacitor off ebay.

The server itself is fine, works correctly, can get into IP/iLO, etc, but its not detecting the controller card. The smart array utility doesn't see it, I don't see any text during boot about it, just the B120i. The LEDS on the card itself do light up so it is receiving power. The firmware on the Microserver itself is from July 2015, so I believe its already up to date.

Can anyone provide some steps to attempt to troubleshoot this? Maybe I would need to update the firmware for the controller, but I don't know how if the machine isn't detecting it.

Can you try on another PC to see if it picks it up? Maybe there's something wrong with the controller. Also check if it is properly seated in the PCI slot.

Can you try on another PC to see if it picks it up? Maybe there's something wrong with the controller. Also check if it is properly seated in the PCI slot.

What should I be looking for on another PC? I should see some text during the post talking about the controller?

I'd be looking under Storage Controllers? Should it autodetect, or do I need to look for unknown devices and then install drivers? I don't have any other server machines available, just a Win8.1 box and a Win7 Home box.

Nevermind found it.

Being able to boot an ISO image remotely from a console is awesome. I wish consumer PCs had this stuff :)

It should show up during boot. I would boot the server using the offline version of the ACU and see if it can find it.

Booted off of ACU, did not find it. Is there anything I can change in the BIOS (IRQs, PCI-E settings) that I can change that might be preventing it from detection?

P222 is DOA. :( Gonna have to send it back and get a replacement.

In the meantime I guess my data drives will be off a 2 disk RAID1 managed by the b120i. Once a replacement p222 comes in, I'll migrate the disks to there, add additional disks and upgrade the array to a raid 5.