RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Best NIC configuration?

psykix

So, I have my 4 port I340-T4 card installed in my Gen8.

That gives me a total of 6 physical NICs, and the dedicated iLO.

I want to run 2 VMs - Windows 10 with 2 teamed NICs, and Sophos UTM, with 1 NIC for the WAN, and another for the LAN. I don't think I need a DMZ.

What's the best way to configure the NICs within ESXi?

I believe that passing through the NICs to Sophos is more secure? What about the Windows 10 VM? I'm not sure how VMware has configured the NICs at the moment!

I'll try to post screenshots in the next post, as when I add them to here, the post vanishes :-(

Capture3_zpsdgu4xkq2.png

Capture2_zpsvjnl0x8o.png

I didn't get a response to this, but the way I have it configured, I didn't actually need the i340-T4!

I have 1 of the NICs on the Gen8 for the LAN and the other for the WAN to the Sophos box. Seems to work fine.

Not sure if anything is to be gained by using the i340-T4 or not, but if I can remove it and leave the slot free for an eventual P222 then that's great :-)

I'm also planning to use my Gen8 as a Sophos firewall/router and homeserver. Do you think there would be a performance gain, if you configure the Sophos and server LAN ports separately or can they share a single port without issue?

Well I have taken the i340-T4 out at the moment, but I'll hang on to it just in case it's needed..

So far no issues with a Windows 10 VM (Plex) and the Sophos XG VM.

• Like 1

Reading around many people rate Sophos over pfSense. Having used neither previously, I can't really validate those claims, but I'm sure there will be someone on here who can!

I didn't get a response to this, but the way I have it configured, I didn't actually need the i340-T4!

I have 1 of the NICs on the Gen8 for the LAN and the other for the WAN to the Sophos box. Seems to work fine.

Not sure if anything is to be gained by using the i340-T4 or not, but if I can remove it and leave the slot free for an eventual P222 then that's great :-)

Your original post asking for NIC recommendations said you were teaming the built in ports and you wanted LAN + WAN so you had to add a card based on that.

As for what you're doing, it should be fine assuming you're not saturating the single gigabit ethernet port that is connected to your LAN when streaming from the server.

I'm just using the built in ports but have setup VLANs so it is actually split out in the switch instead.

Yeah, I may well utilise the card and spilt everything out onto individual NICs.

I've not had several streams going yet so it may well struggle at some point.

Ok, so I put the card back in.

I now have 4 spare NICs - I want to add 2 to my Plexserver and have them teamed in the OS.

The other I want to dedicate to Sophos.

I want to keep the 2 Broadcom (Gen8) NICs for VM Management, and the other for the WAN.

How do I do that? I've tried playing about but can't fathom it!

This is current setup :-

Network_zpszm1btqwm.png