RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Vail RC0 Now available for Download

Dave

Hey Everybody,

Microsoft has just announced Vail RC0 for the masses. You can download it now!

Check out the homeservershow.com blog for more information. Here is a direct link to the info post.

Here is another blog post on Vail RC0. It's a screen shot roundup! Check it out while you download the new version.

http://homeservershow.com/vail-rc0-screen-shots.html

WooHoo,

Now the gloves are off and we're coming out swinging :D

Go ahead and ask your questions and we'll give you some answers, at least to the questions we do have answers. :P

The biggest new thing about Vail is Apple Mac support.

The Drive Extender technology has changed. So if you been running the previous version of VAIL, you will have to copy off you data from your shares to a USB drive then copy them to your new install. Timothy Daleo is in this predicament, so he and I will make a video on this over at UWHS, so stay tuned for that.

Check you Terry Walsh's review at We Got Served.

http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/08/16/windows-home-server-vail-release-candidate-mac-support/?utm_source=wordtwit&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wordtwit

Andrew Edney has the new Dashboard, and asks, WHY IS IT GREEN ? :lol:

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2010/08/16/a-quick-look-at-the-new-windows-home-server-code-name-vail-beta-dashboard/

Nigel Wilks over at MediaSmartServer.net has some goodies with this;

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/08/16/windows-home-server-vail-release-candidate-overview/

And we have;

http://homeservershow.com/vail-release-candidate-0-available-for-download.html

http://homeservershow.com/vail-rc0-screen-shots.html

It's here, let the discussion begin!

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/fbcf4393-ecc5-411d-9e18-310bd198cf48

The text from the site...

Hi Vail testers,

There is a new build of Vail ready for download on our connect site. This new build has lots of enhancements and improvements over the original build and can be downloaded from the downloads section of our connect site. If you are new to the beta, please go to http://connect.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver to sign up for the download. You can provide feedback about the new build through our Connect site and even log ideas or feature suggestions for future versions of Windows Home Server.

The Windows Server code name “Vail” Preview SDK is also available for download. The SDK provides the following content:

· API references that help you understand all the API elements that can be used to extend and manage Windows Server Code Name “Vail”

· How-to documents that help you to understand how to build add-ins

· Templates that help you build add-ins with Visual Studio 2008

· Samples that provide examples of complete add-ins

We also have some other resources available to learn more about Windows Home Server and our upcoming product:

· Online Help Site

· Online Release Notes

Thanks for the continued support.

Edited by IndyLux

Below is the quick summary list of updates between the previous public preview of Windows Server Code Name “Vail” and the updated Public Preview release (August 16, 2010).

· Server Deployment:

o Added page to IC for checking the server time and date

o On headed setups (IC), if Keyboard layout chosen is non-ascii, then the user is given the choice to toggle keyboard back to English in order to enter an ascii password

· Client Deployment:

o Client installation now using .NET Framework 4.0

o Open DNS support/mitigations

o Finalizing uninstall process

o Client servicing support

§ Offer MSI + MSPs to new clients

§ Offer MSI + MSPs to servicing pipe

§ Web request for versioninfo.xml

o Web request and Custom Action for client-side UI OEM branding support

o Blocking logic for max number of computers attached to server

o Blocking non-ASCII computer names to join

o Trim client-language support to match server language

o Adding Mac support to client join Web site

o Bug fixes and UI updates

· Health and Alerts:

o Full set of health definitions covering client/server backup, storage, networking, etc

o Inclusion of additional alert troubleshooting capability

o Client side controls for filtering alerts

o Alert Email integration – configure the server to send alerts via Email

o Updates to alert viewer including organize alerts by computer or alert severity

· Identity:

o Device password reset

o User password reset

o User password policy

o User Limits & Warnings

· Storage:

o New Storage summary page which provides a high level overview of storage usage on the server including:

§ Folders in the storage pool

§ Other hard drives

§ Server Backup hard drives

o Previous Versions for Server Folders are turned on by default and are exposed in folder properties

o File system meta-data is replicated for non-duplicated folders to keep non-duplicated folders accessible in case of a single hard drive failure

o Check and repair functionality (chkdsk) is now exposed for all server backup hard drives

o By default non-default storage pools are locked to prevent accidental data loss

o Added a read-only check for folder

· Dashboard:

o “Safe mode” - if an add-in disrupts the dashboard , Vail will detect it & allow the user to choose whether it is loaded when the Dashboard restarts

o Add-in scrolling” in the tab strip

o Dashboard sign in on client UI refresh

· Launchpad:

o New User experience

o “Offline” mode – Launchpad can now work in an offline mode , whereby the user access Remote Access link or 3rd party links that do not need connection to the server

o “Settings dialog” , that allows the user to customize what alerts they will see on their client

o 3rd party add-ins to LP can control access on a per user basis

· Remote Access:

o Networking

§ OpenDNS support

§ Multi-NIC support for wireless

§ Multi-subnet support for Aurora

o Domain Name Infrastructure

§ Enable trusted certificate installation for GITME vanity domains

§ Manual domain name configuration for Aurora

o Web UI

§ .NET 4.0 support

§ Limit language switching to server language and English only

§ Updated branding

o Media

§ Silverlight 4 support

§ Now playing queue design, paging

o Settings UI

§ Trusted certificate manual installation wizard

§ Simplified domain name configuration experience

o SDK

§ APIs to support BPOS integration

· MAC Support:

o Onboarding experience similar to Windows clients

o Managed device in dashboard

o Launchpad for the mac

o Alert viewer for the mac

o Add in provider for the mac

· Media:

o Optimize streaming video server performance (media settings page)

o Media Center Integration - New server folders are added to Win7 client computer libraries after client deployment is complete.

· HomeGroup:

o Leave HG, view HG password, change HG password wizards.

o HG task added to the sharing options getting started task.

o HG password-out-of-sync status

o Multiple Homegroups in the same network –conflict resolution scenario. Server is in HG and detects that there is a larger HG in the same home network. The HG settings page notifies user to join to existing larger HG.

Get well soon and let me know how it runs for you. I've been running it on the RAID setup without a problem. I've yet to put it through rigorous testing like restores and such. Will have to carve out some time to test more.

I did a topic merge on these two posts.

Edited by HSS-Dave
Merged Topics

I am just hoping the old connector software can be uninstalled from the client machines this time.

Couldn't get the v1 connector off my desktop and I have seen again on the laptop I was recently working on.

Good Info Chris! Very helpful. I have it up and running now.

31 Updates right out of the shoot? Nice...

Using Oracle Virtual Box to run a Win7 client right on the server for testing. The Core i3 is really rocking this one! Threw in the drivers that came with the new board and it found all the right drivers without a hitch. thanks GIGABYTE!

More as I move on!