RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 10 Update 1511 and 2012R2 Essentials

oceang

Just upgraded my first machine to 1511.

I can report the upgrade went well on that machine Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

However, as happened in the Fast Ring and reported via feedback by myself and some others, the upgrade breaks the R2 Essentials Client Connector.

In Fast Ring, I was able to rerun the Hotfix and rerun the Connector and all was OK.

In the final release this morning my time, the Hotfix doesn't do anything it just exits after trying to find something to install and finding nothing.

So at the moment, no Client Connector on my upgraded machines.

My current suggestion would be to wait until after the server side update occurs (was scheduled for November 17, but already one month late), before upgrading any Windows 10 Clients to 1511.

Would be keen to know if this has happened to anyone else here.

Just an update, couldn't edit my original post.

After two re-boots, including rebooting my R2 server, I have got the Hotfix method to work.

I am not sure whether it was the server reboot or the client reboot that fixed the issue.

So the final analysis is that you have to reapply SkipDomainJoin (if you use it), re-apply the Hotfix and then run the Connector Wizard on all upgraded clients.

Just shows the Hotfix can only be a short term solution from Microsoft.

The important thing to remember here is you are working with a completely new OS every time an upgrade is pushed, so things like the Connector and Skipping Domain join will be a fact of life.

• Like 1

The important thing to remember here is you are working with a completely new OS every time an upgrade is pushed, so things like the Connector and Skipping Domain join will be a fact of life.

Not sure why this should be the case. Everything else on the machine is left working as is with all settings intact.  Not sure why Windows 10 continually want to delete anything to do with Windows Server Essentials. This should be fixable.

Also when I went from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 8 and 8.1 Pro, I never had this issue.

Interesting Post. I have some sympathy with the view that multiple forced upgrades in an historical short time period is quite an overhead.

As I write this, I have successfully upgraded 12 machines and re-installed the R2 Connector and tested that the backup still works on each one of them. This takes a lot of time.  If the connector wasn't being blown away, I would have not had to intervene on any of these machines and it all would happen automatically, as it should.

My last machine to upgrade is my main desktop and probably has the most applications installed, but no non-standard "tweaks". At the moment, it wont upgrade at all, it gets stuck at 75% complete, whether I let it do its thing or use the media creation tool / USB route.

I have unplugged every device USB except my mouse and keyboard and it makes no difference.

I have been trawling through various Google hits and have not yet found a solution.

All in all, I agree with the automatic upgrade concept, but Microsoft needs to make sure it doesn't need any interventions, especially when the intervention is caused by a Microsoft product, in this case the Windows Server 2012 R2 Client Connector.