RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Video Jitter

StanHD

I have a Core i3 HTPC, Onkyo AV Amp & Samsung LCD TV.

I have discovered that if I set the HTPC Graphics refresh rate to 24Hz, then my Blu-Ray rips play perfectly, but my DVD rips "Jump" on video only.

If I set the refresh rate to 25Hz, then the DVDs play fine but the Blu-Ray rips "stutter" on video only.

I have checked lots of refresh rates but the Blu-Rays rips will only play perfectly at 24Hz. This is no good for the DVD rips.

I have my A/V amp set to "Pass Through" on the HDMI setup.

Any Ideas anyone?

What is your normal power frequency? 50Hz? At 25Hz for DVD you are exactly 1/2 the normal line frequency so you might not notice the difference. A Blu-Ray movie can be shot at 24Hz so you get the cleanest picture by matching the the update rate.

I don't really know if this is accurate, it just seems plausible.

What is your normal power frequency? 50Hz? At 25Hz for DVD you are exactly 1/2 the normal line frequency so you might not notice the difference. A Blu-Ray movie can be shot at 24Hz so you get the cleanest picture by matching the the update rate.

I don't really know if this is accurate, it just seems plausible.

Supply frequency is 50Hz. Do you think I will have to reset the refresh rate to suit each format? sad.gif

Supply frequency is 50Hz. Do you think I will have to reset to suit each format? sad.gif

I am pretty new to this kind of stuff so we will see what others say, but I think that possibility exists.

Might be a good question for someone like Ian Dixon from the Digital Lifestyle since he lives in the UK, too.

StanHD,

My suggestion is to leave the 60hz default for you PC and HDTV. It will give you the best of all worlds. I have both of mine set that way and do not have any issues playing back any content.

StanHD,

My suggestion is to leave the 60hz default for you PC and HDTV. It will give you the best of all worlds. I have both of mine set that way and do not have any issues playing back any content.

Not sure if the default is still 60hz when he is in the UK.

Thanks Guys, here is what I have managed to find out.

cskenney, although we have 50hz as our standard power frequency, our PCs still have the same graphics drivers as everywhere else. I have done some more research and it would appear to be a common problem:-

PAL DVD is generally in a 25 fps format which means that 25, 50, 75, 100Hz etc. is all good.

Blu-Ray uses the film standard of 24 fps, this means that every so many frames (sorry haven't done the math) the playback needs to "catch up".

Running around the AV forums this appears to be a well known problem. What appears to be required is some form of "auto detection" within the player software, which although (apparently) is not that difficult (I am not qualified to judge either way) so as to change the refresh rate automatically

There are a couple of programmes that can do this so I will possibly look at a way of launching TMT3 from a batch file that calls the refresh change first then restores it on completion. This way I will leave the default rate at say 50Hz which is good for almost everything else in my library.

So far the 1080p output is stunning, and pretty smooth, I just want it perfect. The family didn't really notice, but I do and it nags at my tiny brain blink.gif I love a challenge !

I am off on vacation tonight therefore will pick up when I return.

Once again thanks I will keep going 'till it's sorted smile.gif

This pretty interesting considering I do not have any experience with PAL, however I would have thought that if your your graphics properties where set that the software player would have taken over and combined with the graphics chip would have handled the scaling/deinterlacing. What graphics properties have you tried in both the Inter graphics as well as TMT3.

Have you tried something like powerstrip? You might want to look into that and see if others have had success with it. Tried it many years ago but it might help if your situation.

PowerStrip: http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

This pretty interesting considering I do not have any experience with PAL, however I would have thought that if your your graphics properties where set that the software player would have taken over and combined with the graphics chip would have handled the scaling/deinterlacing. What graphics properties have you tried in both the Inter graphics as well as TMT3.

Have you tried something like powerstrip? You might want to look into that and see if others have had success with it. Tried it many years ago but it might help if your situation.

PowerStrip: http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

Pcdoc, thanks for the info. Sorry for late response, I am on a Greek Island and Wifi is pretty scarce! I will look into this when I return, and let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Pcdoc, thanks for the info. Sorry for late response, I am on a Greek Island and Wifi is pretty scarce! I will look into this when I return, and let you know how it goes.

Cheers

No worries, just a thought. You are supposed to be relaxing if you are on a greek island. Enjoy.