RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sophos Copernicus is now out of Beta and Has a New Name, Sophos XG Firewall

itGeeks

I told them it was all android and IOS devices.

Thanks for the update Mike but what did Sophos say about it? Are they interested in fixing this?? This has been a problem with Sophos way to long and that"s Y I keep saying I don't think they are interested in fixing this.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• nrf

• pcdoc

• psykix

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

for intrusion prevention, the equivalent in UTM9 is the 'attack patterns' tab on the intrusion prevention page. since I am not hosting internet services I orient both toward protecting clients. on XG

Here is what Sophos had to say about this brand new platform- https://blogs.sophos.com/2015/11/10/sophos-xg-firewall-a-network-security-ecosystem-with-many-innovations/#more-30035   You can downloa

Well I was almost there this weekend but had to bail out.  Got everything working very well such as port forwarding, filtering, application policies etc.  Got my home automation, cameras, and streamin

schoondoggy

When you escalate issues to Sophos, you may want to relate them in business terms. If you are having issues with Android and iOS devices, Sophos may be more interested in resolving the issue if it related to BYOD at a business. Has anyone invited Sophos to monitor these threads? It would be beneficial for them to get feedback on their product.

Isn't Luma just a consumer wifi mesh like Eero? Inferior to Open-Mesh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason I saw your post 1st thing this morning and I was hoping someone else would respond in a way that I could just add my thoughts to it but nobody responded so I will do my best here. I feel you cant compare the three products together because its not really apples to apples but more like apples to oranges. Yes all three products are mesh WiFi but that's where it all ends. If your looking for the best raw wifi coverage 'Open-Mesh' is going to be hard to beat, I have one 'Open-Mesh' that covers my entire home and property without any trouble & performance is great. So for a wireless AP only solution your not going to do any better the 'Open-Mesh' but that said 'Open-Mesh' is a WAP solution only, Its not a router and provides not security like the other two solutions Eero, & Luma so now we can talk Eero & Luma out of both these competing products on paper Luma wins hands down on both performance and security again I say on paper/specs, Y well because for one thing Luma supports MU-MIMO over Eero not supporting this and that is huge in its self, That means that Eero is walkie talkie communication only one device can talk at a time and Luma is like telephone communication each device can talk at the same time.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-news/32874-eero-gets-some-direct-competition

On the security front Luma has Eeero on that to, Luma has purchased a security company called Nodal and according to what I have been reading Nodal is no joke

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=201632

Like I said this is all stuff that's on paper but if Luma comes out with what they promise and performs as advertised then it will be a very hard product to beat in terms of security and ease of administration, The down fault is these devices are going to be low powered so you need more then one device to cover your home and property something you don't need with 'Open-Mesh' in most cases if your home is small enough but again 'Open-Mesh' has no security built-in and is not a router like Eero & Luma.

Sorry for the long post & I hope I answered your questions in a way you understand.

• Like 1

When you escalate issues to Sophos, you may want to relate them in business terms. If you are having issues with Android and iOS devices, Sophos may be more interested in resolving the issue if it related to BYOD at a business. Has anyone invited Sophos to monitor these threads? It would be beneficial for them to get feedback on their product.

Hi Kevin, I have tried to contact them from a business point of view but then they ask for your serial number of the product I am using then all communication goes silent. I have also provided Sophos with the links to these HSS threads but is does not seem to matter. We all have to understand that even though Sophos offers there great product to home users for free the home users are not there main concern so unless business users that are paying big money for there product start complaining this stuff will not change. I know pcdoc is working with then on a business level right now so he is trying to get feed back from that angle to see what they are planing if anything to fix these problems for home users.

schoondoggy

Hi Kevin, I have tried to contact them from a business point of view but then they ask for your serial number of the product I am using then all communication goes silent. I have also provided Sophos with the links to these HSS threads but is does not seem to matter. We all have to understand that even though Sophos offers there great product to home users for free the home users are not there main concern so unless business users that are paying big money for there product start complaining this stuff will not change. I know pcdoc is working with then on a business level right now so he is trying to get feed back from that angle to see what they are planing if anything to fix these problems for home users.

I get that. I am very familiar with Sophos, we distributed their product a few years ago. My advice is to try to frame your questions/issues as if they would apply to a business. They are offering a free product to home users to get feedback. If we have issues that apply to a business they are more likely to be resolved. Netflix is probably not high on their list, but if it was a streaming video issue that kept a company from training their staff that would be important. If you are having mobile device issues, ask the question like a business would ask about BYOD.

Sorry for the long post & I hope I answered your questions in a way you understand.

thanks for that,  very helpful! I'm not complaining about the length  :)

I get that. I am very familiar with Sophos, we distributed their product a few years ago. My advice is to try to frame your questions/issues as if they would apply to a business. They are offering a free product to home users to get feedback. If we have issues that apply to a business they are more likely to be resolved. Netflix is probably not high on their list, but if it was a streaming video issue that kept a company from training their staff that would be important. If you are having mobile device issues, ask the question like a business would ask about BYOD.

Thanks for the tip. If I get desperate I will give your advice a try. Right now I am good with how I have everything setup, I am going to wait for the first update and see what changes.

Thanks for the update Mike but what did Sophos say about it? Are they interested in fixing this?? This has been a problem with Sophos way to long and that"s Y I keep saying I don't think they are interested in fixing this.

A little late to response, but they would not be specific with it other than it would be fixed in the next major update, presumably in May.  There is a chance we may see it in a minor update but my guess is it requires some significant changes so we will have to wait till may.

A little late to response, but they would not be specific with it other than it would be fixed in the next major update, presumably in May.  There is a chance we may see it in a minor update but my guess is it requires some significant changes so we will have to wait till may.

Thanks for the update Mike. Sounds like great news, Cant wait for them to finally fix this.