RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sophos Copernicus is now out of Beta and Has a New Name, Sophos XG Firewall

itGeeks

I just realized I'm having to bypass the web filter for my WSE12R2 server box. Otherwise Plex and WSE Remote Web Access fails. Something about the dynamic DNS update services. They fIll even with source/dest NAT setup in Sophos. Not sure why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• nrf

• pcdoc

• psykix

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

for intrusion prevention, the equivalent in UTM9 is the 'attack patterns' tab on the intrusion prevention page. since I am not hosting internet services I orient both toward protecting clients. on XG

Here is what Sophos had to say about this brand new platform- https://blogs.sophos.com/2015/11/10/sophos-xg-firewall-a-network-security-ecosystem-with-many-innovations/#more-30035   You can downloa

Well I was almost there this weekend but had to bail out.  Got everything working very well such as port forwarding, filtering, application policies etc.  Got my home automation, cameras, and streamin

the so-called heartbeat feature that paying customers will get sounds promising, but us cheapskates end up with two disjoint products, a firewall with local web interface and a endpoint feature with cloud-based interface, and they don't talk to each other. has anyone gotten a price for a small installation of the for-pay product?

I'm interested in the same. Haven't see a cost estimate but seems this would be worth paying for to get true benefit of this "next gen" endpoint security.

I just realized I'm having to bypass the web filter for my WSE12R2 server box. Otherwise Plex and WSE Remote Web Access fails. Something about the dynamic DNS update services. They fIll even with source/dest NAT setup in Sophos. Not sure why.

Interesting. I assume it has to do with both trying to do the same job. I use dyndns from within Sophos and it seems to be ok.

Anyone know how to clear the logs?

I'm using Sophos as my DHCP server, and seeing multiple lease renewals every half an hour-ish and I had the lease time set to the maximum. I have changed it to be 8 days now, but wanted to clear down the logs.

I've edited the guide already.  Apparently the way I was doing it ... not only didn't work reliably, but actually outright blocked the ports that I was forwarding. 

Meaning that because I was hosting web services on it (HTTP, HTTPS), it was outright blocking the server from connecting to those services. I've found the solution and uploaded the guide.

But .... yeah, I would absolutely recommend staying away from Sophos XG Firewall, and go for Sophos UTM  for now. Unless you're willing to spend countless hours ripping out your hair in frustration, because there is absolutely no information about anything for this product.

Drashna, I was curious how you currently have your Sophos UTM 9.3 setup... specifically as it relates to Plex Media Server.  My PMS runs directly on my WSE12R2 box.  Unless I configure Sophos UTM 9.3 so that ALL traffic originating from my WSE12R2 bypasses the web filter (under Web Protection > Filtering Options > Misc (Skip Transparent Mode Source Hosts)), Plex Media Server doesn't detect my correct External Internet IP address correctly and therefore the Remote Access under Server > Remote Access (https://plex.tv) never configures correctly.  The moment I make my WSE12R2 box bypass all outbound web filtering, it works perfectly.  My Firewall rules are setup correctly.

It appears that, unless I make my WSE12R2 Plex Media Server box bypass the web filtering altogether, it reports my external internet IP of my web proxy to plex.tv instead of the public/static IP of my WSE12R2 box (which isn't the same as my web proxy/gateway).

Any bypassing web filtering on my WSE12R2 box seems to default the purpose of wanting security enabled...

Thanks.

Drashna, I was curious how you currently have your Sophos UTM 9.3 setup... specifically as it relates to Plex Media Server.  My PMS runs directly on my WSE12R2 box.  Unless I configure Sophos UTM 9.3 so that ALL traffic originating from my WSE12R2 bypasses the web filter (under Web Protection > Filtering Options > Misc (Skip Transparent Mode Source Hosts)), Plex Media Server doesn't detect my correct External Internet IP address correctly and therefore the Remote Access under Server > Remote Access (https://plex.tv) never configures correctly.  The moment I make my WSE12R2 box bypass all outbound web filtering, it works perfectly.  My Firewall rules are setup correctly.

It appears that, unless I make my WSE12R2 Plex Media Server box bypass the web filtering altogether, it reports my external internet IP of my web proxy to plex.tv instead of the public/static IP of my WSE12R2 box (which isn't the same as my web proxy/gateway).

Any bypassing web filtering on my WSE12R2 box seems to default the purpose of wanting security enabled...

Thanks.

Jason,

Not sure how this applies to 9.3 so I am asking out of concept,  but have you tried to manually configure plex from the server site?  I assume you have a port forward rule to port 32400 or whatever you are using to the plex server IP?  Also since this is a dedicated port, could the rule could contain the bypass for the plex server at that port only.  Sorry if these are silly questions.

So the PC (and Mac?) client is only an end-user app and doesn't communicate back with the Sophos XG Firewall Home Edition host dashboard?  If not that's a huge miss.

Also does QoS function yet in XG?  I've come to rely heavily on this in UTM 9.3 for my Ooma service alongside Plex and TiVo streaming, CrashPlan cloud backup, etc.

Just to add to what pcdoc said, Even though the new endpoint protection for home users don't communicate back to the new "security heartbeat" of Sophos XG is not the end of the world because it has its own dashboard when you login that shows the health of all your endpoints. I agree it would be great if it reported back to XG but not the end of the world. As pcdoc said this is for home use and the fact that Sophos gives the home user world class endpoint protection for up to 10 devices on each account is fantastic.

Jason When I was running UTM9.x I never had to bypass the web filter to get things like Plex or WSE Remote Access working, You just need to do the proper port forwarding for those services. You say something about your dynamic DNS not updating, What service are you using for this? Also what are you using to update the DNS info? I use DynDNS and never had a problem with the services behind UTM9.x or now my Sophos XG

Edited by itGeeks

Anyone know how to clear the logs?

I'm using Sophos as my DHCP server, and seeing multiple lease renewals every half an hour-ish and I had the lease time set to the maximum. I have changed it to be 8 days now, but wanted to clear down the logs.

Try powering it off wait 30 seconds and power back on, That's worked for me. If that does not work then disable DHCP wait 30 seconds and re-enable it should clear it.

Interesting. I assume it has to do with both trying to do the same job. I use dyndns from within Sophos and it seems to be ok.

I use dyndns also works great on both UTM9.x and now Sophos XG

I'm interested in the same. Haven't see a cost estimate but seems this would be worth paying for to get true benefit of this "next gen" endpoint security.

I would challenge that, I am afraid you and everyone else is going to have sticker shock when you see what the paid product cost. This is a steal for home users, Its world class protection of a cost of free. You have to know that something is going to be left out for the free version but its NOT the level of protection. I am perfectly good with that. I personally don't care that it does not integrate with the new "security heartbeat" of XG, The free protection that you get with the new endpoint for home users will still stop viruses, malware, & PUP and that's good for me.

Edited by itGeeks