RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sophos Copernicus is now out of Beta and Has a New Name, Sophos XG Firewall

itGeeks

Those updates are just regular signature / antivirus definition updates.

There have been no actual firmware updates since the initial release.

Correct, Next firmware update is due Jan-Feb 2016 :) No word on whats fixed or changed or added yet so stay tuned.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• nrf

• pcdoc

• psykix

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

for intrusion prevention, the equivalent in UTM9 is the 'attack patterns' tab on the intrusion prevention page. since I am not hosting internet services I orient both toward protecting clients. on XG

Here is what Sophos had to say about this brand new platform- https://blogs.sophos.com/2015/11/10/sophos-xg-firewall-a-network-security-ecosystem-with-many-innovations/#more-30035   You can downloa

Well I was almost there this weekend but had to bail out.  Got everything working very well such as port forwarding, filtering, application policies etc.  Got my home automation, cameras, and streamin

Sophos XG Firewall innovations – User interface

https://blogs.sophos.com/2015/12/18/sophos-xg-firewall-innovations-user-interface/#more-30360

I find it funny that in there own screen shot the performance monitor is showing "orange", For those of us with an orange performance monitor as strange as this sounds maybe we are worried about nothing -_- I am personally going to wait for the firmware update due out Jan - Feb 2016 and see what clears up on its own and go from there.

Edited by itGeeks

So what works well in XG vs not?  For example, NAT and port forwarding working OK but web filtering doesn't?  Or Intrusion Protection and OpenVPN capability don't?  I'm curious.  I may very well move over to XG and get behind the continued improvement, but trying to determine what startup time I'd have to invest.  Would be coming from a working UTM 9.3 config.  Still sucks they don't have a config migration option.  Yet (TBD in future per their forums).

Most everything works but Netflix streaming on Android/IOS based devices.  Those have to have a rule the bypasses web filtering.  I was not able to get VPN to work but that could just be cause I have not figured out the magic combo yet.  I ended up using OpenVPN from my NAS.  Everything else seems to be great.  I have spent two weeks on it as my only router/firewall and I love it.  I am just finishing up a write up which I will publish on my site by the end of the weekend.  I plan on doing a few more as I get more involved and deeper into the features.  I really did not think I would like it this much and it has captured so much stuff on my network.  Far more than the paid version of Untangled ever dreamed about and I can focus it much easier to certain devices.

Drashna Jaelre

Most everything works but Netflix streaming on Android/IOS based devices.  Those have to have a rule the bypasses web filtering.  I was not able to get VPN to work but that could just be cause I have not figured out the magic combo yet.  I ended up using OpenVPN from my NAS.  Everything else seems to be great.  I have spent two weeks on it as my only router/firewall and I love it.  I am just finishing up a write up which I will publish on my site by the end of the weekend.  I plan on doing a few more as I get more involved and deeper into the features.  I really did not think I would like it this much and it has captured so much stuff on my network.  Far more than the paid version of Untangled ever dreamed about and I can focus it much easier to certain devices.

Don't forget that it breaks XBOX Live (and probably PlayStation Network, and ... well, the Wii network). 

And it may intefere with other things as well (that we haven't brought up), such as program updates (like java)

Don't forget that it breaks XBOX Live (and probably PlayStation Network, and ... well, the Wii network). 

And it may intefere with other things as well (that we haven't brought up), such as program updates (like java)

Absolutely Correct.  I did have to address the Xbox thing.  Have not seen the Java issue yet and there are probably others that will creep up overtime.  One full week and counting.  Knock on wood, fast and stable...

Great guide. Seems very similar to UTM 9.3. May I ask what type of home network security exploit/situation you encountered that prompted you to explore alternatives to Untangle? We can all learn from these experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 XBOX gaming consoles working just fine behind XG & yes I had to bypass them from scanning but in all fairness I had to do the same thing in UTM.

3 XBOX gaming consoles working just fine behind XG & yes I had to bypass them from scanning but in all fairness I had to do the same thing in UTM.

If anyone is interested, I just posted my experience on my site:  http://thedocsworld.net/sophos-xg-firewall-1-the-basics/

Thanks for the link, I will have a look.

Great guide. Seems very similar to UTM 9.3. May I ask what type of home network security exploit/situation you encountered that prompted you to explore alternatives to Untangle? We can all learn from these experiences.

Untangle cost money every year for decent protection but even at a cost its still not better the Sophos. Sophos is Iron Man in terms of protection and @ a cost of FREE for home users that just cant be beat.

Sure, It was two things.  First some browser based software got installed on one the kids system via some online games he installed.  Though it was not apparent, it started hijacking and transmitting files off of his system including some media files which were flagged by TW.   I was not able through conventional methods determine what was installed as nothing showed up as being installed in the control panel, the browser, or was obvious in running tasks.  On a separate occasion, another game installed Hamachi which is a VPN package on the other kids system.  Some of these games are really badly written without regards to security especially the free stuff they have out there.  I had to reformat the drives, rebuild the systems just be safe.  That is why I want things locked down so that this does not happen again.