RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sophos Copernicus is now out of Beta and Has a New Name, Sophos XG Firewall

itGeeks

when I am sure I have no use for it, it goes to charity. but the fact that something is not 64 bit does not render it automatically obsolete.

Neal I am sorry I was only trying to have some fun with you. I think its great that you donate unused stuff to charity. I don't want to hijack this thread but I see you use "Genius Vision" for your security cameras NVR, How is that program? Have you ever tried XProtect GO? It is free for 8 Cameras 5 days of recording. I am trying XProtect GO for the last 30 days or so and I really like it so far but I am always open to options if there better then what I am using. https://www.milestonesys.com/our-products/xprotect-software-suite/xprotect-go/

Here are some videos of XProtect https://www.milestonesys.com/videotutorials

Edited by itGeeks
  • Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• nrf

• pcdoc

• psykix

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

for intrusion prevention, the equivalent in UTM9 is the 'attack patterns' tab on the intrusion prevention page. since I am not hosting internet services I orient both toward protecting clients. on XG

Here is what Sophos had to say about this brand new platform- https://blogs.sophos.com/2015/11/10/sophos-xg-firewall-a-network-security-ecosystem-with-many-innovations/#more-30035   You can downloa

Well I was almost there this weekend but had to bail out.  Got everything working very well such as port forwarding, filtering, application policies etc.  Got my home automation, cameras, and streamin

no offense interpreted.

nobody here seems to know about gv but it seems to me another great free thing (like utm9). I only have 2 of my 4 cameras set up at this point, and I can get to it fine either lan or internet, from a browser or android app.  it seems to do all I need without the frustrating foibles of the NVR that came with the cameras. I run dual mode - the nvr does its thing but is in an exposed area, I use gv as my backup in a more protected area. so they can steal the nvr but I still have them :)

I am not a real expert in this area but I am allergic to subscription fees. The performance impact seems minimal and a very rich set of features for free, most of which I don't need. One that I found important was to get email on Loss of Signal.

It's pretty easy to set up and control the storage allocation policy if you want to try it out some evening :)

Edited by nrf

Sorry Mike this is one aria I have not messed with so I can be of know help to you on this one. If this is the only thing stopping you from using it could you not just setup the VPN Server on your QNAP for the time being till you get this ironed out? At least this way you can put all your hard work to use :) https://www.qnap.com/i/en/tutorial/con_show.php?op=showone&cid=3

Another option would be to setup the wonderful TeamViewer FREE for home use on your server, I personally use this and it works great. https://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

My suggestions may not be the ultimate resolution for you but at least you can use XG Firewall in the meantime ;)

I am considering the QNAP option and also testing the a VM of OpenVPN.  The minute I am convinced that one of these will work, I am going back to XG.  I lost the first round but not the battle.

For anyone keeping track, I just tested OpenVPN on the QNAP and it is fantastic.  It actually works better than than the one built in to Untangle.  I am now ready to plunge into XG again this weekend so lets see if I am successful or if I bail out again.

That's good but assume OpenVPN doesn't work within XG natively as intended. Will look forward to hearing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stuck with Sophos XG and now that I have my Wifi AP installed decided to start to check out some of the more useful features of Sophos.

Has anyone got the antivirus/malware detection to work?

I'm trying to test it out using the payloads on wicar.org but the virus is not picked up by Sophos at all :-(

Windows defender and google chrome detect and delete it, but I wouldn't have expected it to even get past the gateway to be honest...

I have a horrible feeling I'm gonna have to sit down and read through the massive admin guide, but it's safe to say that Sophos XG is one very weird bit of software.

Never mind - the web filter is a no go. I figured out how to get it to flag malware correctly, but as soon as I put the webfilter on then the kids Youtube, along with their Amazon Fire TV boxes are rendered useless.

I forgot about that issue :-(

What a pile of steaming poo...

Now do I hang fire and hope that they sort these issues or do I start to look for something else other than Sophos XG.......

Edited by psykix
  • Like 1

Ugh. These reports seem to be consistently negative. What kind of testing could Sophos have possibly done before release of XG?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The truth is I just got everything to work.  Port forwarding, filtering, application control, OpenVPN, PLex, and Netfilx.  I am good to go.I bit bazaar to initially get going but I have made great progress.  I bailed on using the native VPN services and used OpenVPN on my QNAP which turned out to be the ticket.  It is faster, easier, and more tunable then what I was using before.  I am a happy camper for now.  More to follow.

I have port forwarding working for Plex.

But PLEASE tell us how to get the webfilter switched on without breaking video streaming stuff!!

Pretty please?