RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sophos Copernicus is now out of Beta and Has a New Name, Sophos XG Firewall

itGeeks

It's that pretty much *all* intel CPUs anymore?  

Can you find a CPU that is only 32 bit anymore? At least from the last few years.

:)

While anything new is most likely 64 bit, no so with the bone pile at nrf's farmhouse (or his existing UTM machine for that matter.)

So the main complaint is they can't bother telling people in plain english about that assumption. As it played out, I had to build my disk on a 32 bit machine and stick the disk into a 64 bit machine anyway because of bugs in the load program.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• nrf

• pcdoc

• psykix

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

for intrusion prevention, the equivalent in UTM9 is the 'attack patterns' tab on the intrusion prevention page. since I am not hosting internet services I orient both toward protecting clients. on XG

Here is what Sophos had to say about this brand new platform- https://blogs.sophos.com/2015/11/10/sophos-xg-firewall-a-network-security-ecosystem-with-many-innovations/#more-30035   You can downloa

Well I was almost there this weekend but had to bail out.  Got everything working very well such as port forwarding, filtering, application policies etc.  Got my home automation, cameras, and streamin

It's that pretty much *all* intel CPUs anymore?  

Can you find a CPU that is only 32 bit anymore? At least from the last few years.

:)

Which says something about it's flexibility.  That it can be a simple product, or something as (or more complex than) pfSense. 

It's a fantastic product. At least UTM is.  XG Firewall is decent, and I think with more time, it will become better. As good or better than UTM. But it's not there now. 

To be blunt, I don't have a lot of experience with networking.  Most of what I know is stuff I've learned *because* of Windows Home Server (and a part of why I love the product and it's successor so f***ing much).   Most of my experience with Sophos has been reading logs. Seriously. It's checking the live logs and learning how to best exclude *just* what I want. It's also been a shitload of google. Looking for which parts are in use by what devices/services. 

The issue that I have with XG Firewall (and really the core of the problem for me), is that it takes all of that experience and shits on it. All of the stuff I've learned, it's not usable at all. 

If there was a good way to take what I know and (easily) convert that to XG Firewall, I would. In a heartbeat. And I really hoped that I could. THat's why I installed it on my router and used it for a full week before reverting (and thank goodness for automated setting backups!!)

And the reason I documented a lot of what I've done was in part for personal reference in the future. But because I know that Sophos' documentation was lacking and that a lot of people had issues figuring out the product. That, and if I was going to recommend it, i might as well put my hard work out there for others to use. 

I still do have a VM loaded of it (for my VM lap, actually), and I do plan on digging into it to see if I can "fix" the issue I was having. But for now... I may see about writing more guides for UTM. More advanced topics.

Point well made and keep the faith that they will improve it.  Still a fantastic topic I and would love to hear from others who experiment with it.  I am trying the best I can to document everything as well just in case I have to back track and to hopefully help others.  Created a network group lasted night for a range of IP addresses on a specific port and experimented web filtering which worked real well.  Lots of hits and misses but I am still plowing forward.  I hope to go live this weekend so I can test the VPN and port forwarding which is the last things I have to do, so by Monday I am either fully in or back to Untangle.

While anything new is most likely 64 bit, no so with the bone pile at nrf's farmhouse (or his existing UTM machine for that matter.)

So the main complaint is they can't bother telling people in plain english about that assumption. As it played out, I had to build my disk on a 32 bit machine and stick the disk into a 64 bit machine anyway because of bugs in the load program.

WOW nrf, If your stuff is that old you should put it on ebay, I am sure to the right collector it could be worth a lot of money then you could purchase some new hardware with money leftover :D

when I am sure I have no use for it, it goes to charity. but the fact that something is not 64 bit does not render it automatically obsolete.

Read on Sophos page they're still going to develop UTM for at least a while. As they perfect XG. For how long - is yet to be determined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I was almost there this weekend but had to bail out.  Got everything working very well such as port forwarding, filtering, application policies etc.  Got my home automation, cameras, and streaming devices working.  The one thing (and the most critical to me) that I could not get to work correctly was VPN.  I rely daily on VPN and after approximately 8 hours of every attempt I could muster up, I threw in the towel.  After all that work setting up my entire network and getting everything working, I go stuck at the simplest thing.  Something that should have been a 5 minute job and I could not get there.  Aggravating as it is really powerful and I had things tweaked pretty good and mostly cause I really like it.  I am going to have to leave it in a test environment again till I solve this mystery.  Really thought I had it nailed.

• Like 1
Drashna Jaelre

[...] Something that should have been a 5 minute job and I could not get there.  Aggravating as it is really powerful and I had things tweaked pretty good and mostly cause I really like it. [...]

Yeah, this, emphatically. That's pretty much my entire feeling about the product. And definitely glad that i'm not the only one.

Well I was almost there this weekend but had to bail out.  Got everything working very well such as port forwarding, filtering, application policies etc.  Got my home automation, cameras, and streaming devices working.  The one thing (and the most critical to me) that I could not get to work correctly was VPN.  I rely daily on VPN and after approximately 8 hours of every attempt I could muster up, I threw in the towel.  After all that work setting up my entire network and getting everything working, I go stuck at the simplest thing.  Something that should have been a 5 minute job and I could not get there.  Aggravating as it is really powerful and I had things tweaked pretty good and mostly cause I really like it.  I am going to have to leave it in a test environment again till I solve this mystery.  Really thought I had it nailed.

Sorry Mike this is one aria I have not messed with so I can be of know help to you on this one. If this is the only thing stopping you from using it could you not just setup the VPN Server on your QNAP for the time being till you get this ironed out? At least this way you can put all your hard work to use :) https://www.qnap.com/i/en/tutorial/con_show.php?op=showone&cid=3

Another option would be to setup the wonderful TeamViewer FREE for home use on your server, I personally use this and it works great. https://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

My suggestions may not be the ultimate resolution for you but at least you can use XG Firewall in the meantime ;)

Edited by itGeeks

Found Sophos response.  Currently not available.  Planned for 2016.

https://community.sophos.com/products/xg-firewall/f/46/t/11271

Well that's not the best news in the world. Sorry all I can tell you is the option was there when I reinstalled XG Firewall but I did not know if it was active because I was not upgrading from UTM. I did however give your post a Like aka thumbs up on the Sophos site :)

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1