RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Sophos Copernicus is now out of Beta and Has a New Name, Sophos XG Firewall

itGeeks

Here is what Sophos had to say about this brand new platform-

https://blogs.sophos.com/2015/11/10/sophos-xg-firewall-a-network-security-ecosystem-with-many-innovations/#more-30035

You can download the free home version from here https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools.aspx

Keep in mind this is very much a v1 product but it has everything a home user should need & then some. There is no more 50 IP limit like they had for UTM 9, The only restrictions now are

4 Cores & 6GB of memory, This is more then enough for home use today.

I have been running the beta for several months now and I must say the performance is better then that of UTM9 but there is also some problems getting Netflix working on mobile devices that I have not got worked out yet, They way I got this working when using UTM9 is not working on this new platform.

• Like 1

nrf

I appreciate the update on this. I will give it a go! Will we need a 'drashna' style book to go with it?

nrf

flag on the play - nice that it boots from any 1gb usb stick without some wacky device but after loading up the disk and rebooting it demands an x64 architecture.

I don't have anything like that just lying around.

schoondoggy
nrf

and they have outdone themselves again - the admin guide is 600+ pages!  :)

oj88

Wow, thanks for the update. I think I'll set it up as a VM side by side with my current pfSense VM. This is so that I can literally flip between the two while in production.

schoondoggy

It was recommended to run the old version of Sophos UTM from a drive, due to writing back to the OS. Are they supporting USB drive boot on the new UTM?

Drashna Jaelre

Looks like it's time to upgrade and start writing guides then. ;)

I have been running the beta for several months now and I must say the performance is better then that of UTM9 but there is also some problems getting Netflix working on mobile devices that I have not got worked out yet, They way I got this working when using UTM9 is not working on this new platform.

Web filter issue. Will definitely have to look into.  I'm sure it's more complicated now...

nrf

It was recommended to run the old version of Sophos UTM from a drive, due to writing back to the OS. Are they supporting USB drive boot on the new UTM?

not that I have seen, but now you can at least load it without having an optical drive or custom usb thingy. just a plain stick did the trick. (but now I may never get the stick back for other purposes as windows thinks it is 'small' when I try to format it again)

Drashna Jaelre

not that I have seen, but now you can at least load it without having an optical drive or custom usb thingy. just a plain stick did the trick. (but now I may never get the stick back for other purposes as windows thinks it is 'small' when I try to format it again)

Have you tried diskpart's clean command?